Suzuki 40 hp lower unit shooting water.

d.hidalgo

Cadet
Hello,<br /> <br /> I have a early 90's Suzuki 40 2-stroke that I replaced some seals in the lower unit. Now that I have reassembled the lower unit and put it back on I hooked it up to a water hose to make sure that it ran o.k and the gears engaged. The problem I have now is that there is water shooting out of the seam where the lower unit connects. Any ideas on why this is happening? Thanks. <br /> David

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Suzuki 40 hp lower unit shooting water.

Are you 100% sure that you assembled it right back together? There shouldn't be any space there for water to shoot through if it has been tighten properly with new seals, anything you might have notice or done you think may have been wrong while you put it back together?

d.hidalgo

Cadet

Im sure its tight. thats what concernes me the most. It has to be alot of pressure to shoot out that seam. there was no seal on the lower unit where it connects. Just metal on metal. what if i put the impellar in wrong. i know the blades have to be bent to fit in the housing. If i bent them the wrong direction could that cause it?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

If you bent it in the worng direction the waterpump would not pump strong or at all to cause what you are describing ... the blades must be bent forward in the direction of the movement ... there should not be a seal on the lower unit there, you get a seal kit that you put on there, for something like this to happen there must be quite a huge blockage at that part of the lower unit which I doubt very much, are you sure it's not maybe the ear muffs that is shooting water up to make it look like there is water coming out there?

d.hidalgo

Cadet

Wow. Thats a good point about the ear muffs. Makes me feel kinda dumb now. The water pump works good and has a good stream coming from the motor. I'm gonna have to check on that. It could be just the water spray. (I hope thats what it is)<br />Thanks Alot!

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Sure, anytime, I also hope that is all it is ...

d.hidalgo

Cadet

I looked at the ear muffs and there is defantaly water coming out of the seam where the lower unit connects. Ran into another problem. I went back and made sure everything was tight. I sheered off one of the stud bolts on that the impellar housing sits on. I ordered a new one from Brown Points Marine. It only cost .89 cents but I spent 12 dollars in shipping. Ill appreciate all the help. When i get my part I'll keep ya'll updated on the water leakage problem.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Did you get the right seals for your model engine and all? It just seems that if the seals are different than it should be, it can close the passage ways and forces it out the seem if you understand what I mean, but please keep me updated ...