Yamaha 115, 2 cycle, blowing fuses

mtmaloney

Recruit
Main fuse overheats. After running hard for 30 minutes (+/-) it melts. Volt meter shows 14.2+ at 4800 rpm. Replaced regulator but that did not solve problem. Dealer and trusted mechanic have no insight.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 115, 2 cycle, blowing fuses

sounds like a wire chafed, the voltage numbers look ok. usually its in the trim harness but occasionally in the remote oil tank or main engine harness.<br />last one I looked at was someone had put a 10 amp fuse in place of the original 30 amp fuse :) :) . 2 other techs missed it.

mtmaloney

Recruit

Seems credible. We started having the problem after running for twenty minutes or so in pretty rough seas. <br /><br />How can we find it?<br /><br />The first time it happened, the mechanic at the place that sold us the motor claimed that someone had put in a fuse that was too short. That proved to be an elusive fix.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

First I would check all connectons at the motor with special attention to grounds. Then examine the wiring harnesses for the trim and oil tank for wires which are bare or obviously been hot.

mtmaloney

Recruit

We have a '03, 115TXRB.<br /><br />There are two things labeled as wiring harnesses in the wiring diagram. <br /><br />#30 is the main engine harness. It is the main fuse here that is melting. <br /><br />#34 is another harness -- I presume the oil injection.<br /><br />#43 is the tilt/trim switch. <br /><br />I assume that we should check (a) all the grounding points in the engine compartment; and (b) for hot wires associated with the tilt/trim and other wiring harness.