Suzuki DT8C won't start...

newster

Cadet
I just bought a used DT8 (90<br />s version I believe), and ran it all day on Monday. Had some slight problems, but it ran. Yesterday, I hooked it up and bucketed it to check on the problem (shuts off at high speed), and it idled well for a few minutes, water was pumping and all. I then tried to throttle it and it died as usual. Now it won't even turn over. Someone please help me out! I kind of feel like it will start again if I keep at it, but I don't want it to be like this on the water.

newster

Cadet
Re: Suzuki DT8C won't start...

Update: Took apart some things and found that the spark plugs are pretty burnt out. Going to replace those (manual says replace or clean every 6 months). Also, the Y tube that splits the gas between the gas filter and the oil injection was completely melted for some reason. It was working so-so one day, and completely melted shut yesterday.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Your engine is overheating from what i understand from your information, it could be that there is a blockage in the cooling channels, replace what needs to be replaced (spark plugs, Y tube) and just check the temp if it runs hot you know there is a cooling problem, it could also be that your thermostat is not working, just a guideline but post the updates ....

newster

Cadet

Update: Got the y-tube today and it is a night and day difference between the old melted and shriveled one. Installed it, and motor started on the first pull, and could rev higher than before. Apparently the gas flow was greatly hindered by the faulty tube which caused all my woes. New spark plugs and I should be set for the water.

suzukiman

Recruit

Ok hey guys i really need help!!! I am 17 and self teaching to be a mechanic going to school soon for it too...anyway i got a 88 suzuki oil injected dt8c i believe is the model. Well i got it for 200 bucks it ran in a bucket so i got it. I took it to a suzuki dealer and found out all componets were screwd so i spend 300 to get fixed replaced everything but the carb. It ran great all last summer untill the end when at full speed it would strangly slowely shut down! It makes no sence. Then id have to choke it to get it to start again. It only does this after a long day. It gets hot but i didnt think it was overheating. Is this a carb problem or do you have any idea what it could be?? Please help itd be muchh appretiated i need to use it again next week for the summer!

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Sounds like you might have sucked in some crud into the carb, time for a good clean .....

suzukiman

Recruit

okay, thanks. just sprayed in carb cleaner.... is there anything else i can do to clean thoroughly ? i'm not that great with carborated engines. thank you.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Ideally you need to take the carb off, soak it in carb cleaner over night (dismantled) then blow out with compressed air and put back together.....