yamaha temp gauge and dig speedo

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a '92 85hp yamaha and I'm tring to add a yamaha temp gauge. It has 3 wires off the back along with the 2 lighting wires, yellow,light blue, and black. The light blue one is giving me the trouble. Where does it connect to? The guy at the yamaha counter said it ties into the overheat alarm sending unit, but how. My 2nd problem is that I got a yamaha dig speedo and the "set/mode" buttons do nothing. It has a 's video' type connector on the back that is not hooked up. Should it be? Where can I locate a schematic on this? I do appreciate all the help I've recieved in the past very much. Everyone here has saved me a lot of time and money that the wife doesn't like to share with a mechanic. Thanx again

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: yamaha temp gauge and dig speedo

that tach is really not compatible with the 92 unless you purchase the wire harness adapter. in 95 the harness changed from a round connector to a square and the tachs with the mode/set buttons were not made until the late 90's early 2000's.<br /> and ya need to insure the DIP switch settings in the tach are set for 3 wire trim,12pole and 2 stroke as applicable.<br /> use the search funtion on the yamaha forum for tach dip switch.<br /> got no idea of what an "s" video is, yellow is key on 12V,black is ground lighting is dark blue and that only leaves the light blue for send.

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its a digital speedometer, is that still going to be about the same problem as a tach? Thanx

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rodbolt, does the temp gauge use the same sending unit that the alarm buzzer uses? My local shop has no clue. Thanx