Suzuki 30 hp 4 stroke issue

Bobbyv750

Cadet
I just bought a 30 hp Suzuki 4 stroke used from a guy who I trust really took care of it. The motor was in pristine condition when I purchased it. The first day out I had no problems, ran strong for 4 hours but on the 2nd day out, I had some serious problems. Ater running for 1.5 hours )alternating between WOT and then not as fast) the engine completely bogged down. We barely got off the bay- not much more then idle speed. We checked a few things and smelled gasoline on the dipstick and noticed that the lowest carb has gas leaking out of the side when the engine is running. Upon start up, the engine shakes while idling and will not go more than 1/2 WOT before cutting off. At the same time, gasoline is getting into the water.(meaning the river water where we run it), and gasoline continues to get into the oil- we can see the "oil" level increasing on the dipstick. We changed the line between the tank and engine (including the bulb, all spark plugs, engine oil and cleaned out the fuel filter. Today we tried to run it, but the same thing is happening. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It appears that the choke is working correctly

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Suzuki 30 hp 4 stroke issue

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />It looks like you attacked everything but the problem. It's the carb that needs repair. I'd rebuild them all. They gum-up real easy with the gas they sell these days, especially if they aren't used all that often.

Bobbyv750

Cadet

I have the shop manual--do you think I will be able to do it by myself ?

Bobbyv750

Cadet

Boat is 100% back to normal. When we pulled the carbs off, we noticed that gas was leaking out of the bottom carb because a small o ring went bad--replaced the o ring and it ran like a champ. Thanks for the help