water temperature gauge for YAMAHA 55 hp

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would like to fit a electrical temperature gauge to my motor, This afternoon I had a good look around the motor and saw,that there is a plugged off tapped hole,on the lower cylinder head water jacket ( consisting of a hex head stainless steel plug )can a temperature sender unit be fitted where the plug is and wired up for the dash mounted temperature gauge,or where else can a sender unit be fitted. where would the correct place be to fit a temperature sender unit to the motor.Kind Regards William Wright

dorkhead

Seaman
Re: water temperature gauge for YAMAHA 55 hp

JC You found the right guy. I just put a temp gauge on my yammy on Saturday. Got no help here so I had to go it alone so I'll be glad to help you. I bought the Teleflex 58862P. Got it at BoatUS for like 63 bucks. Came home and found it online with shipping included for 40 and change. So I took it back to Boatus and they gave me the diff. Like 23 dollars and change. Wow BIG savings I thought. Anyway the kit gives you a sender along with a beautiful gauge and 4 ways to mount it. I used the Z bracket. You just take a head bolt out and put the bolt thru the bracket and torque it back to spec. Screw in the sensor till it touches the head. Put a little tension on it not much. Run your wiring and wallah. Your done. I fired mine up afterward and it worked like a charm. I had one on my other boat so when I bought this new one I had to have one. Peace of mind. I don't want to know my engines already too hot. I want to watch it continuously while running. They're too expensive to let get hot. Good luck. You can do it. Mike

redbull660

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: water temperature gauge for YAMAHA 55 hp

Good post I am also wanting to put a temp gauge on my 2003 yamaha 115 horse 4 stroke, I will look into this