Yamaha 15hp - boat not getting on plane

bega

Recruit
I was hoping to get some advice on getting my boat back to optimum performance. I currently own a 3.66m aluminium v nose punt and it is powered by a 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke short shaft outboard. I have fitted a floor and front and rear casting decks and have found that it now struggles with another bloke on board to get up on the plane. It is fine with just myself but once I add another person to the boat the motor struggles to lift the boat onto a plane. I have tried adjusting the trim but to no avail. The decking was 19mm form ply and I used about 3 sheets (1200x2400) so there is a fair bit of weight just in the flooring and decks. A sheet probably weighs 25kg so all up about about 75 -80kgs. <br /> <br />How much weight can a boat of this size handle and from memory I think the boat was only rated to 15hp maximum? Can I upgrade to a 25hp without making it too unstable once up on the plane? If so, should I buy a long shaft or short shaft? If I buy a long shaft I will probably have to add more height to the transom where it is cut away?<br /> <br />Thanks and I appreciate any advice you can give me on this matter. I just want to be able to take one of my mates fishing every now and then and not worry about the boat not getting on the plane.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Jason

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Yamaha 15hp - boat not getting on plane

Howdy, Bega.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />There are a lot of possible things you can do, but they are not engine problems, they are boat rigging and prop problems.<br /><br />I am going to transfer you to the Boat Forum.<br /><br />Good luck. :)