Suzuki DT 65 hp

staybent

Cadet
I going to look at a boat tomorrow 15 ft glass boat with a Suzuke DT 65 hp oil injected motor. I have never owned an injected motor only 2 strokes were I had to mix the gas and oil or 4 stroke motors. are they relyable motors as compared to oil and gas mixing engines. And can u use mixed gas instead of using the oil injections system.<br /><br />Thank you for any help u can offer.<br />Staybent

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suzuki DT 65 hp

Hi,<br />I had a Suzuki DT65 (1991) before and the oil injection system is reliable on this outboard. I would continue to use it. There will always be a slight risk in any oil injection system that it will fail and trash the cyliders etc because of lack of lubrication then but I think the pros overweight the cons with having the oil injection system in use. There is an oil resevoir under the cowl where You fill 2-stroke outboard oil (preferably an environmentally friendly oil). The mix gas:eek:il will be variable when oil injection system is used and on Suzuki DT65 it is 125:1 at idle and up to full rpm it is 50:1. If You disable the oil injection system and mix yourself (50:1) it will get to much oil at lower rpm and smoke/smell more for example. At higher rpm it will be OK.<br /><br />If You buy the outboard I suggest you have a look at brownspoint.com if/when You need spare parts (it is probably one of the most complete Suzuki online stores on the internet).<br />There You can also find parts lists.<br /><br />If the service status of this outboard is unknown I would at least change to new gearcase oil (and new gasket on lower oil drain plug) and get a new impeller (water pump) also since it is made of rubber and will wear out in a couple of years usually. New sparkplugs of correct type and gap is also a good thing to use.<br />Thermostat may or may not be in good shape but it can be taken out and tested so it open at specified temp. But make sure it is mounted back in same position it was before.<br />If You do not want to do basic maintenance yourself just let a Suzuki marine mechanic do a basic service and hopefully it will work fine first season.<br /><br />It is also important You achive around 5500 rpm at full throttle if you want good performance (and actually want to keep this outboard in good shape in the future). Hope the outboard has a prop that will give that rpm at full throttle with the boat.<br /><br />/Bo

NJCoastFlyFish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Suzuki DT 65 hp

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but when compared to a yamaha 70hp, is the suzuki dt65 bigger or smaller (dimensions, not weight) <br /><br />I'm looking to buy a used one and trying to figure out if it will fit in my car!