Yamaha Temp Gauge Sender Question

jak

Cadet
I'm installing an aftermarket temp gauge for my 2004 150HP TXRC engine. Can I use an after market temp sending unit or do I have to use a Yamaha sending unit?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha Temp Gauge Sender Question

what type of sender is it? if its a surface mount its ok, if it threads in the block most likly not. the yamaha 2 stroke 150 2.6L the temp sender goes into the block. remove the plug on the stbd side just fwd of the head mating surface on the top of the block, thats the temp sender hole. the port side is for water pressure.<br /> most aftermarket senders can be surface mounted with a little bracket.

jak

Cadet

I have a non Yamaha temp gauge mounted on the console but I haven't purchased a sending unit. What I'm uncertain of is the thread size of the threaded port on top on the block. It looks close to 3/8 NPT. The Yamaha parts cataloge lists a sending unit but gives no specs with regard to thread side. After market sending units are available in various NPT sizes at a some what lesser cost. I didn't want to purchase one only to find that the thread size was different.<br />I purchased and installed the Yamaha threaded adaptor for a pressure gauge and that works fine. Both sides of the block have the same thread size but I don't know what the thread size is. <br /><br />Regards

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I cant recall the thread size either but its the same as the water pressure port.<br /> it is not a pipe thread, thats why it requires a gasket.

jimpantera2

Recruit

I cant recall the thread size either but its the same as the water pressure port.<br /> it is not a pipe thread, thats why it requires a gasket.

Are you saying that an aftermarket gauge can't be used, or is there an adapter available , I have a 2004 VZ 200 and don't want to buy a Yamaha gauge, I would prefer to keep all my gauges the same style.

Thank's

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the sender port is NOT a standard pipe thread you will probably have to use the Yamaha sender as I've not seen a sender that is anything other than a standard pipe thread. The next question is whether the Yamaha sender is compatible with your gauge. A sender of a Teleflex or Faria temp gauge will have 30 - 450 ohms of resistance (250 - 100 degrees). If the sender is anything other than that, it will not work. You can use the Teleflex bracket that fastens under a head bolt and accepts the sender. The sender is then adjusted so it is in contact with the cylinder head - essentially turning the gauge into a cylinder head temp gauge rather than a water temp gauge. Technically though, the two situations are not the same as cylinder head temp can rise quickly during acceleration or under heavy load whereas water temp would lag a bit. Teleflex also has a standard "contact" type of sender that would make a little better appearing setup. Here are pictures of the two types of senders.

TempSenderTypes.jpg