1989 115hp yamaha power head temp.

flounderman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I replaced the thermo. on both heads and ran the motor for a bit. The port bank is about 125* and the starboard bank feels like a room temp beer. I use the motor in salt water and I bought it used. I did get it hot once, got into some kelp and the buzzer went off along with a cloud of ???. but restarted and it ran fine. I did a comp. test 119 _121 psi. Does any one have a comment or had a similar experience ?

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1989 115hp yamaha power head temp.

I'm sure almost everyone has gotten debris enlarged in the waterpick at some time. Sounds like you didn't hurt anything though given the compression readings.

TxShorty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

125 sounds a lot closer to right than room temp beer! Maybe there is some debris causing the cool side thermo to stay partially open.....

flounderman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Both thermos. are new,I did not notice any "debris" but I did scrape away salt deposits. The new temps are about the same as prior to the thermo. change.

flounderman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the help guys I have tabled that project for another, the temps are liveable but I still dont understand why they are so different on the two heads.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

It can be a mystery. I know many times each bank on a V6 or V4 will exhibit different compressions. And it will run fine as long as the starboard bank's compression is even as well as the port bank, even if the starboard and port are not withing the 10% limit. <br /><br />Example:<br />1,3,5~115<br />2,4,6~100 or even 95

Fjbango

Seaman Apprentice

just a contribution, may not be exactly what you are experinecing. I found an internal "hole" in the head cover gasket of my yamaha. One (at least) role of this gasket is to prevent the cooling water to flow except if the thermo is open. when this gasket is blown, the water is no longer controlled by the thermo, it runs through the hole and keep cooling this side of the engine regardless the thermo.<br />This gasket has a metal core, i guess steel (not stainless) it was badly corroded and the high water pressure (contribution of a stucked- closed defective bypass valve) produced the hole.<br /><br />This is my theory from what I see now I am dismantling my engine ("see 1991 200 hp yamaha broken bolts nightmare") BUT I am pretty convinced that big temperature difference in an otherwise ok firing engine is due to big difference in cooling water flow.<br /><br />If it is working just let it be, dont risk to go through what I am going now!<br />good luck and keep the posting going!<br />Frank

flounderman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks guys, Fjbango I have been following your journey, buddy - - - if I were you I would hire someone to steal that thing. Leaving mine alone sounds good. If I ever meet GOD I will ask him to please make the 2nd commandent " THY SHALL NOT HAVE TO WORK ON ONES OUTBOARD".

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You sure the port bank is warmer than the starboard?<br />Should be the other way around.<br /><br />Cheers... Canuck 16.

Fjbango

Seaman Apprentice

Let us know what the outcome is.<br />Good luck!

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On my 200hp V6, the starboard head is always warmer than the port side. The water enters the PH and flows thru the port side before going to the starb side, so the water is already pre-warmed before it enters the starb side of the motor.<br />Maybe someone ( Ray, Rodbolt ) can tell us if the water flows differently in the V4's.

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello everyone,<br /><br /> I am curious myself. I own a 1989 Evinrude SPL V-4 88 horsepower crossflow. What mine does is after I warm it up say 5 minutes at idle speed my heads get hot . I can hold my fingers on the heads for about 4 seconds before I have to remove them on both heads. Yes, I think the starboard bank is hotter than the port bank.

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep, sounds a little warm B.B! At idle speed I could hold my hand on either head all day.<br />When was the last time your water pump was changed?

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Canuck 16,<br /><br /> I changed my water pump out last year in March 2005. It pees a good solid stream out of the tale-tale, but cools down excessively when I rev it up somewhat, but not over 1,500 rpm's for fear of running away motor.