How do I tell age and model of my Yamaha engine

john-206

Cadet
I have just purchased my first boat. It has a Yamaha 9.9 four stroke outboard engine, but I do not have a manual for it.<br />The identification plate has the following codes and numbers which mean nothing to me: F9.9 BM, 6G9, S, 002654<br /><br />How do I tell the age and model to enable me to purchase the correct manual for this engine, and where would I purchase one from?<br /><br />John

carljh

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How do I tell age and model of my Yamaha engine

John,<br /><br />email sales@seamarknunn.com they will help you. They sorted mine. There may be a letter stamped in the bottom right corner of the id plate, they will want to know this and they are in Suffolk UK.<br /><br />Carl

john-206

Cadet

Thanks Carl. Bin told S is a 1980

carljh

Seaman Apprentice

Glad to know I could help. Seamarknunn should be able to get all the parts you may need as well.<br /><br />Carl

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

try this site: www.marinshopen.se and go to "modelguide" then click on Yamaha and you should find your info :cool:

john-206

Cadet

OK Guys I'm baffled.<br />www.boats.net lists 'S' as being either 1980 or 1994.<br />www.jpmarine.reach.net/yamaha.htm lists it as the same.<br />www.marinshopen.se lists the 1994 as being a 'Z'<br />who do I believe????<br /><br />Also I have found sites that say the year letter should be stamped on the ID plate in the bottom right hand corner. Mine doesn't have this but it does have an 'S' on the plate with the other codes. Is this the year letter or does it stand for Short Shaft 15"

bb_ed

Seaman Apprentice

One thing no one has mentioned is that the motors sold in UK may have different model designators. I went to Yamaha's online parts catalog and looked in every single list of models for the years 1984 to 2005. There is no F9.9BM listed in any of the model dropdowns. Yamaha Parts Catalog. It says on the front page that the info applies to USA motors only.<br /><br />Here is the UK link Yamaha Engine Codes UK. Unfortunately there is no model year info. The "B" in your number idicates that it is a second generation motor. You probably need to find a table of serial numbers to identiy the year of manufacture unless every year gets a new generation number.

bb_ed

Seaman Apprentice

OK, at the link posted by ZZZZZ, I found this<br />"6G9 1985- F9,9B" in one of the tables. If I've understood my Swedish(??) you have a 1985 4-stroke 9.9hp manual start, yah?

Dunaruna

Admiral

It's all a bit confusing, especially in swedish!!<br /><br />Try this site - http://www.warnersdock.com/Modelyearlookup.htm <br /><br />If you use this site and the UK site you may get an answer something like this.................<br /><br />002654 is your serial number.<br /><br /><br />F = four stroke<br /><br />9.9 = HP<br /><br />B = engine generation (factory thing)<br /><br />M = manual start<br /><br />6 = don't know<br /><br />G = build date, same year the Beach Boys released Kokomo - 1988<br /><br />9 - don't know<br /><br />S - standard length leg (15" ?)

john-206

Cadet

Ha Ha. Thanks Guys I really do appreciate all your efforts.<br />So apparrently I now have an engine that was 1980 cud have been a 1994, then it was a 1985 and now its a 1988.<br /><br />It's a very confusing start to the World of boating. If I stick around and ever buy a new outboard I think I might just give Yamaha a miss.<br />Bloody Japanese!!!!!

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

American codes don't work for foreign motors produced by Yamaha...that's why you are getting conflicting answers :cool:

Anymec

Seaman Apprentice

Try this: www.anymec.com and then LINKS.<br />We have the same codes in Finland as you in UK.