Yamaha Outboard engine battery charging

john-206

Cadet
I have a Yamaha 9.9 Four stroke outboard. It has an electrical output socket on it for charging the battery.<br />I wanted to know if I could just plug a lead in it and keep the battery charged, but I have received conflicting advice. Some folk say I can some say I can’t because my engine doesn’t have an electric start.<br />Help please!<br /><br />Thanks John

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha Outboard engine battery charging

does it have just the two green leads going to a socket or do the leads go to a rectifier first ?<br />some engines had an AC lighting option that can be converted to a DC system with the addition of a rectifier.

john-206

Cadet

Hi thanx I'll have a look tomorrow.<br />If it just has 2 green leads going to the socket and it needs a rectifier where do I get one from? are they easy to install (I used to be a car mechanic but Know nothing about these engines) And where would I get a lead to plug into the socket and would it just clip on the battery with crocodile clips?<br /><br />Just bought first boat!!!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

most any air cooled rectifier capeable of 9 amps or so will work, the yamaha dealer will have a part #, I cant help but so much cause the model and seriel numbers are a bit different from the US marketed beasts.

john-206

Cadet

I have now fitted a rectifier and it is working well. Thanks for the help!!!