Suzuki 4 stroke DF70- clogged water passages in lower unit

sparkymark

Recruit
Any one know how to clean the water passages on the lower unit of a suzuki 4 stroke. Last weekend I was operating the motor in brakish and muddy water. I clean it the usual way with a flushing device. While operating the motor this weekend I notice the is no water comming out of the pilot water hole. I immediately stop the motor, I hope I can avoid a major repair. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

sparkymark

Recruit
Re: Suzuki 4 stroke DF70- clogged water passages in lower unit

There is small hose that connects to the water pump that can get get clogged if not properly flushed. After taking it off and unclogging it and test motor operation it fixed the problem.

scout99

Cadet

This happened to my motor as well... But I had to pay the dealer to fix it. They told me next time it happens to remove the bottom screens on the lower unit next take off the hose that connects to your pee hose and then use air to back flush this down. It cost me $34 but next time I will do it myself.... good luck

Triton II

Commander

Wow scout99! Over here if you took your motor to most of our average dealers with a similar problem they'd have done a full strip and rebuild and given the motor back with the problem still alive and well and then argued that $75 an hour and six hours work to not fix the problem is perfectly reasonable (I have the initial bill, the solicitors' subsequent bills and the framed refund cheque to prove it). :eek: <br /><br />$34 is an absolute bargain - congratulations on finding such an honest dealer. :cool:

DANCIN4

Recruit

Scout 99, this is a similar problem my neighbor has on DF 60. It is a 2008, but it is a different type of water pump indicator. This one has a knob next to it to redirect the spray direction and the spout is very deep. We put a flush coupler on and ran the motor to test it, the output of the pump was pushing air! We then shut it down before the block got warm to the touch.
My question is there a safe way to take the plastic spout assembly apart, or this a dealer repair service (the boat doesn't have 20 hours on it yet.)

Thanks in any help,
Pictures are very helpful too.

Charles Cote

Recruit

I had a similar problem (and others) on a 1999 Suzuki DF60. Dealer couldn't do it right but showed me how they were told to do it. Yep , that included removing the water stream indicator and back presuring with an air hose, pulsing it. It eventually worked, but I had to really work at it. These engines evidentally cannot be counted on running in shallow waters withut plugging up. I used to have a little Mercury that I used for duck hunting, that NEVER plugged.
Chuck