150 SUZUKI CHARGING SYSTEM

lonnie1975

Cadet
I HAVE A 150 SUZUKI DT. THE AMP GUAGE SHOW CHARGING 15 AMPS WHEN I START MY MOTOR. AFTER ABOUT 30 MINUTES IT GOES TO 12 AMPS. IT WILL NOT GO BACK TO CHARGING UNTIL YOU STOP THE MOTOR FOR ABOUT 2 OR 3 HOURS THEN IT WILL DO THE SAME THING. MY TACK NEVER STOPS WORKING AND IT IS HOOKED TO THE SAME WIRES. I ALSO CHANGED THE AMP GUAGE AND HOOKED MY METER TO IT AND IT STILL DOES THE SAME THING. I AM LOST NOW ANY INFORMATION WILL HELP. TIRED OF HAVING DEAD BATTERIES AT THE END OF THE DAY. ALSO NEW BATTERIES. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 150 SUZUKI CHARGING SYSTEM

The gauge is probably a Voltmeter not an Amp meter. The scale on an amp meter reads -30-0-+30 or similar numbers but it will have zero in the middle of the scale. Any minus reading indicates a no-charge condition. A plus reading indicates chargine. A voltmeter reads from about 6 or 8 to about 18. You have a 12 volt system so any reading above 12 volts says the system is charging. The engine has a voltage regulator so when the battery is charged, the regulator cuts back the charge voltage to prevent boiling the battery. Your system is working as it should.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

are you sure its an amp meter and not a voltmeter?<br /> the voltmeter should stay in the 13-14v range while running.<br /> about what year suzy do you have ?

lonnie1975

Cadet

You are correct it is a volt meter. It is a 1998 model and it has always stayed in the 13 to 15v range. It has only started this about 5 fishing trips ago, going back to just 12v after running a while. Why are my batteries dead after a day of fishing if it is working correct? I have 2 battieies and only use them to start my motor. They are new batteries and I have had them load tested.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What accessories are you running when stopped and if you have two batteries, how are they wired. If they are simply wired in parallel, one could be bad (yes I know you said both were new). If one is bad it will suck the life out of the good one. You may also have loose or corroded battery terminals.

lonnie1975

Cadet

I have put new terminals, load tested batteries, and i have a selector switch. I play a radio sometimes, but i have been doing the same thing since 1998 when I bought the boat. the gauge going to 12v after a while still has me because it never done that before. this weekend it went down to 8 v and the tack never stoped working. got to the landing battery dead, had to switch to other battery.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It takes a pretty heavy load to draw down a battery that quickly so I would start by checking the wiring on the battery switch. If that has not been worked on recently there likely is not a problem but if cables had been removed for any reason, they might not have been connected correctly. My only other thought is that the rectifier/regulator is bad allowing current to back flow. I'm not familiar with that electrical system.

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like the stator charging coil or the rectifier/regulator.