YAMAHA 9.9 WINTERIZING NIGHTMARE

ken71362

Recruit
While draining the oil from the hole where the dipstick goes in the ~ 6inch plastic tube from the extraction device fell in the crankcase. I can't see it with the flashlight. I removed the six bolts holding the crankcase together and the crankcase split, but I could only pull it up and apart a few mm's - not enough to see the tube. Any thoughts would be helpfull. (4cycle 1999, 9.9hp)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: YAMAHA 9.9 WINTERIZING NIGHTMARE

Golly -- there certainly were some other options I would have tried before attempting to open the crankcase. The engine is light so why suck the oil out -- tip the little bugger upside down and pour it out. Chances are the tube that got away from you could have been shook out as well. But since you opened the engine, how do you plan to reseal it? Chances are unless the power head is removed it's going to leak oil like crazy. Now that you feel bad, take the engine off the boat if it has not already been removed. Tip it upside down (over a drain pan) and shake it. With luck the tube would slide out. If not, and depending on how hard the tube is that you lost, one might consider leaving it in the crankcase. If its soft enough, it may get thrown around and eventually just lay at the bottom of the crankcase doing no harm. You still need to consider how to re-seal the engine however. That's best done by removing the power head. And as long as you are doing that, remove the pan and extract the tube. Reseal, install the power head and away you go never to repeat the mistake (hopefully).

ken71362

Recruit
Re: YAMAHA 9.9 WINTERIZING NIGHTMARE

thanks for the ideas. I was hoping the crankcase would reseal relatively tight as the gasket remained entirely intact and I thought it was a relatively low pressure system. I thought of flipping and shaking but the tube was only slightly smaller in diameter than the hole. Still I think I'll give it a go. I thought of leaving the tube in there but I thought if it rubbed on any moving parts it might chip away and the chip might plug a necessary oil passage. Again much thanks for the ideas!