1995 Yamaha C85 hp Trim/Tilt Repair

ctrent

Recruit
The seals are leaking and need to be replaced.<br />My local service center wants $375 + parts.<br />Is this a reasonable price?<br />Can I do this job myself? <br />Are there special tools needed?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1995 Yamaha C85 hp Trim/Tilt Repair

4-5 hours = $375? if its just the cap and ram seals and everything comes apart easily this seems steep, sometimes you have to fight the caps off though.<br /><br />a special tool is needed yes. if you have the tool required and perhaps a gas torch you could do the job yourself.

FHARVELL

Cadet
Re: 1995 Yamaha C85 hp Trim/Tilt Repair

I would not suggest someone attempt this without the repair manual and your very handy with tools. It does require a special tool (The one that has three and four small protuding studs to remove the flat recess type nuts that have small female type holes evenly space apart from on another, Yamaha special tool #YB6175). It is important to keep parts identified as they are removed. Many parts may appear similar, put components should be install into the same location from which they are removed. You don't want to be somewhere out on the water to discover you made a mistake in re-assembling the unit. Overhauling this unit does require replacing several O rings. Disassembly - Moderate, Re-assembly - Difficult.