Question about Suzuki choke solenoid operation....

philtheskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
1989 Suzuki dt140...<br /><br />My choke solenoid sometimes works or pulls the choke linkage fine and other times doesn't. When it doesn't work you can see it move a little, but it doesn't have enough power to pull it in all the way. I found one post where someone said if the solenoid has any movement, it's fine. He said something is sticking. Is this right? I was going to buy a new solenoid but they are over $100 so don't want to waste money. Is there someway to lube or clean the part that moves into the solenoid? Will something like WD40 hurt it? The linkage seems to move freely by hand.

Dr Jizm

Cadet
Re: Question about Suzuki choke solenoid operation....

Cant see why lubricating it would hurt. gott be worth a go.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Disconnect the solenoid from the butterflies and see if the plunger is sticking. The solenoid is just an electromagnet that operates a plunger which is connected to the choke butterflies. If the plunger is sticky or corroded it may not move spritely. Pull the plunger out and inspect it, maybe clean and lubricate it a bit. If the choke butterflies don't close COMPLETELY you will have hard starting on a cold engine.

alittledinghy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I jus worked on a DT55 this weekend with the same problem. Check the resistance of the coil/solenoid and compare it to the spec. A weak coil will sometimes pull the linkage in and sometimes not. If all is clean and free and the coil checks out of specs. Change the solenoid and save yourself the headache. Jerome