200 hp Yamaha Charging

Mudd_catt

Cadet
I recently purchased a 19 1/5 ft Stratos with an '88 model 200 HP Yamaha. The problem I have with this motor is that the charging system doesn't seem to be very stout, especially while running the headlights on the boat at night. I had to be jumped off the other morning, and even after I ran 8 or 9 miles at wide open, after I killed the motor, it barely had enough juice to lower the motor on the trailer. The model # on the motor is 200 ETLG. Also, I can't seem to get this boat above 61 oe 62 at wide open at 5300 rpm, running a jack plate and stainless prop.

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 200 hp Yamaha Charging

Hi,<br />Are You sure your battery is healthy? All cells OK? Fully charged? (charge it to make sure it is fully charged)<br />Battery connections OK?<br /><br />Battery charging components: <br />Flywheel permanent magnets, stator, voltage regulator/ rectifier and battery. <br />Rotating flywheel magnets induce an alternating current (AC) in the stator coils. <br />AC current is rectified to direct current (DC) by the voltage regulator. DC output from the voltage regulator is used to charge the battery. The voltage regulators sense the battery voltage as a measure of the battery’s state of charge and regulate the DC current flow to the battery. The voltage regulator(s) usually protected by fuse(s).<br /><br />General Troubleshooting:<br />A fault in the battery charging system will usually cause the battery to become UNDERCHARGED.<br />A defective voltage regulator or a stator winding shorted to ground may also allow the system to OVERCHARGE the battery.<br />If a problem exists in the charging system, visually check the following:<br />Check for loose or corroded battery terminals.<br />Check condition of the battery.<br />Visually inspect all wiring between stator and battery for cuts, chafing and disconnected,loose or corroded connections.<br />Excessive electrical load (from too many accessories) will cause battery to run down,<br />even if the system is operating correctly.<br />If the battery is undercharged, proceed with regulator, stator, and rectifier tests.<br /><br />Above from a Mercury Service Manual, but since it is general info if will apply to a Yamaha also.<br /><br />Here I hope somone else will help You since I do not have a Service manual for the Yamaha outboard You have and can not tell You how to test the regulator, stator, and rectifier (that I assume is described in the Service Manual like it is for Mercury).<br /><br />You may get valuable info also if you search this Yamaha & Suzuki forum with the word charging<br /><br /><br />Good luck.

Mudd_catt

Cadet
Re: 200 hp Yamaha Charging

I have checked the batteries, they seem good according to the test equipement. This is the second time since I bought the boat that I have had issues with the charging system. The first was when my two-year old got into the drivers seat at the house, and left the master power switch on. That time, we fished a three hour tourney, and had to jump from the trolling battery every time we cranked. I am starting to think from all the checking today, that it just does not have a very stout charging system, hence the headlights are about to go off the boat.