Yamaha tiller with broken throttle cable

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yamaha tiller with broken throttle cable

Just got this 1986 9.9 last Saturday; and I already "injured" it-by an accident I caused. I almost drop it trying to mount it on a wheeled stand. Anyway, the plastic "sleeve" at the end of the throttle cable going into the carb broke-not the cable- so now it's movement is sluggish. This has also effected the shift (Reverse-Neutral-Forward) cable as well (hard to go to reverse), since I've been messing around with the plastics "housing brackets" also. <br /><br />I see the part listed at a couple internet site; my question is: is it too much to do it yourself to replace the damaged throttle cable and to line it up along with the shift cable as well? They are kind of hard to work on; due to the twisting of those cables. <br /><br />I looked at the tiller handle-where those 2 cables end up- but I have not been able to figure out how to take the handle apart!<br /><br />By the way, I went ahead and bought the Yamaha Service Manual; but there is no mention or any picture at all about my problem!<br /><br />Did anyone know or have done this kind of repair?<br />Any advise is highly appreciated! Thanks!