1991 85 hp suzuki won't go forward

muck63080

Recruit
HELP PLEASE? I have a 1991 85 hp suzuki that won't go into forward. Reverse works fine. Mechanically inclined but never have worked on outboards but want to give it a try. Any suggestions?

Toniwdsl

Cadet
Re: 1991 85 hp suzuki won't go forward

does it go into gear at all ? last i heard about those ones was that their gearboxes were very weak. cud be stripped or something. i had one a long while ago .. bought it with a boat ... only forward worked.. found the gearbox faulty ... maybe same problem ?? worth checking... or are u saying it wont go into forward on the controls ?

muck63080

Recruit

hi toniwdsl, I found the problem in the linkage and believe I have fixed it. Now the problem I have encountered is that I took the lower unit off, (not apart), and can't get the dang thing back on. Anyone?

muck63080

Recruit

It's actually the clutch I am having trouble getting back into the gear case. It slides into a hole about 3/4" in diameter inside the gear case and I believe there is a spring loaded rod inside the hole that needs to be pushed back so the clutch can slide in. anyone help?

muck63080

Recruit

Would it be best to undo the clutch shaft from the clutch rod and slide the clutch into the gear case manually then slide the whole works back up the housing to the clutch shaft? anyone?

captainsae

Cadet

Uh oh - you may have pulled the clutch up so far the clutch dog slipped off. To put it back, you will have to take the gear case apart:( It's really not that hard to do with the right tools and it would be a great time to install a new seal kit. You will need a puller that you can attach to the gear keeper to get the center piece out of the foot, then you can slide the whole assembly out and put the clutch back into the correct position.