2005 new yamaha 4 stroke 250 hp

susy

Cadet
Can someone please provide me with some plain english explanation as to why gas seems to be going into the motor oil. I boat a 2005 Cobia 23ft Cuddy with a 250hp yamaha 4 stroke and Monday July 11, 2005 will be the second time I take the boat to the same yamaha warranty repair place. I need to know is this normal everytim we come back from fishing we check the oil and it is full to the top and has gas smell. Please reply thru email as to if this is normal. I am told we need to run the ___ out of the boat cause we hardly go passed 3000 rpm. Thanks I appreciate the help. susy, miami :D

JRJ

Commander
Re: 2005 new yamaha 4 stroke 250 hp

Go back a forum to Engine faq "Engine making oil" Lots of info there.

susy

Cadet

Chief Petty Officer, thank you but I still don;t understand why is there gas inside the motor oil, not water and it fills to the top

Lasse Lehtonen

Seaman Apprentice

When the engine is new the gas not burning in cylinders can enter the lower parts of your engine and there is oil as we know.When you are driving the boat this is happening all the time (more when new) and when you check your oil you recognize that there is more oil since last check.If the motor is making oil a huge amounts and it keeps on making it when coming older there can be a gas leak somewhere, but it is normal for a big engine to make oil at first hours of driwing.

JRJ

Commander

susy, you have a problem only a Yamaha tech can explain and repair. How many hours on your motor? What kind of motor oil are you using? how many times has the oil and filter been changed? Did you break in your motor as per your manual? Do you ever get your motor up to full operating temperature?

susy

Cadet

The boat has 13 hours, the oil was changed at the yamaha authorized tech place, we have tried to break in but what is the amount of rpm that is correct. Thanks for your time and hope to get this fixed, what do you think of the 2 stroke, maybe that is what we should have gotten.

gss036

Commander

I would not consider that normal, a little gas yes, but to fill it completly up, I don't buy into that being normal. You are not going to get any life out of that engine. If they keep telling you that it is normal, as for a letter from Yamaha extending the warrany out 5-6 years to warranty the engine against the problem as it is not going to lubricate properly with that much gas and you will have scored cylinders and then seizure.

susy

Cadet

thank you all for taking the time to reply. Let see what the repair place does this second time, if there is a third time then yamaha will have to put a new engine or change my 4 stroke to two maybe they work better

JRJ

Commander

susy,do you have a manual for your motor? I wouldn't go after a 2-stroke yet.

JRJ

Commander

Originally posted by susy:<br /> Yes JRJ I do have a manual, why
You have a manual. You have read it? You have run your motor for 13 hrs. per the manual? Maybe you should go after a 250 or 300 HPDI. I hear the bugs have been delt with. Good luck :p

susy

Cadet

What do you mean about dealing with bugs,

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is a vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator. If the pressure regulator diaphram is leaking, fuel can be drawn into the engine through the vacuum line for a short time after the engine is shut off and while the engine is running for that matter. Leaky fuel injectors can also cause the problem. Remove the vacuum hose at the regulator and shake it. If fuel comes out (any amount) the regulator is bad. It is also possible the fuel pump is continuing to run after shut off which may force fuel into the engine.

susy

Cadet

thanks up in smoke for the great tip

JRJ

Commander

Thanks Upinsmoke, susy seemed to grasp that like tea on ice.