1988 Yamaha 130 no charging system output

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
Hello I’m back again…. Engine is running well but I don’t think the charging system is working. I have read the manual several times and I can not figure out what they are talking about in the troubleshooting section. Can someone help in simple English what to disconnect, where to test with my DVM ect?<br /><br />Here is the deal. With engine running at idle and slightly revving, and my DVM hooked directly to the battery terminals shows 12.43 volts and does not rise with revving. I checked connections, fuse on red wire and all seems good. I have a battery switch so I put the positive lead connected on the feed from the engine got same output.<br /><br />So how do I check outputs or ohm readings from the alternator, stator (I don’t know what a stator is) through the rectifier/regulator, pleas keep it simple I’m stupid about this stuff, thanks.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Yamaha 130 no charging system output

Some one must have had charging issues before me, I can't be the first where do I start ????

skiwake130

Cadet

Fishon, looking at the service manual there are several things you can do. First I would check the resistance of the lighting coils. They are a 3 phase star configuration which you are refering to as the stator (stator - meaning static - doesn't move compared to the rotor - the flywheel with the magnets which does rotate).<br /><br />Pull the 3 pin plug with green wires at the back of the motor. With your meter in resistance mode, check the resistance between each pin. It should only read a few ohms, all pins being the same. Sorry I don't know what the resistance is - it's not specified. If they all measure the same, then the coils should be ok.<br /><br />Next step would be to check the peak voltage produced. With the engine running at 1500rpm, you should get 35v peak. Your meter must be capable of reading and holding peak voltage. At 3500 rpm, you should be reading 85 volts. If both these tests are OK, then the charging coils are working.<br /><br />Next in the chain is the rectifier / regulator. Its job is to take the 3 phase Alternating Current produced by the 3 charging coils and convert to Direct Current 12 - 14 volts to charge the battery.<br /><br />The manual states to test the regulator the following way. With your meter set to diode test (should be symbol like ->|- ) put one probe on black and green there should be continuity. Then swap probes around green to black should be open circuit or infinity. Probe between black to red, should be continuity, swap around probes, should be infinity. Finally red to green, should be continuity, swap around infinity. You are basically confirming the diodes in the regulator are working.<br /><br />If this checks out ok, then the regulator should be OK. Only other links in the chain is the red wire from the regulator, the fuse, and bullet connectors, wire to the battery. I would carefully check these for corrosion. With everything hooked up and engine running, check the voltage at the fuse (may have to slip the probe down the side), the charging voltage should be around 13.8 - 14.2 volts. Check the black wire from the regulator is not corroded. It is possible for a cable to measure OK with the ohm meter but when under load, it's high resistance. I had this problem with the helm trim/tilt switch.<br /><br />The charging circuit is very simple and not much can go wrong with it. Take your time and study the circuit so you get a feel for how it works and what the tests are trying to diagnose.<br /><br />I'm only going off the manual and my electronics knowledge, so if anyone has additional real-life info to add , please feel free to help out.<br /><br />Good luck,<br />David

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Okay stuck on step #1 --- I think I found the green connector in question – it has four wires and they are coming from under fly wheel – the colors are (YELLOW & RED) (YELLOW) (GREEN & RED) (GREEN)<br /><br />Is this the right connector?<br />Across what colors do I test?<br />What should I see for OHM readings to confirm stators are okay?

skiwake130

Cadet

There will be 3 sets of leads coming from under the flywheel - 4 pin lighting coils lead, 4 pin pulser coils lead and a 3 pin charge coils lead. Sounds like you've found the pulser lead.<br /><br />The charge lead is a round 3 pin plug and it connects to the finned metal regulator which is on the right side of the engine looking from the rear, not directly behind the engine - that's where the ignition systems lives.<br /><br />All three green wires each connect to a coil with the other end of each coil joined together formign a centre connection.Resistance should be equal whichever pin you measure. I don't know what the resistance is but it will only be a few ohms. You're really checking to make sure there is no open or high resistance between each pin. They all should be about the same resistance. Also check resistance to engine block. It will be an open circuit.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

”The charge lead is a round 3 pin plug and it connects to the finned metal regulator which is on the right side of the engine looking from the rear, not directly behind the engine - that's where the ignition systems lives.”<br />----------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />My engine seems to be a little different, else I’m blind. Keep in mind this is a 1988/130 I can’t find the above connector. Looks like the green wires (2) come from under flywheel and go right to rectifier/regulator.<br /><br />The regulator has (4) wires (top left = black) (top right = green) bottom left = red with larger nut) (bottom right has 2 green wires)<br /><br />Below the rectifier/regulator is a bigger box (CDI Unit) where a bunch of wires go in to.<br /><br />I do find the other two connecters you mention for lighting & pulser coils.<br /><br />I guess at this point is to clarify which each of us is looking at and perhaps I disconnect wires at rectifier/regulator and take some measurement, what do you think?<br /><br />I really appreciate your help, hope to solve this soon cuz the fish are biting while my boat sits in the yard!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /><br /> the two green leads are the stator lighting coil leads. the resitancxe between them is a low ohms. somthing less than 1. test between the two green leads with the leads disconected. then test each lead to ground. should have infinity from either lead to ground. the diode test from the above post will be the same. also test for 12V at the red wire on the rectifer with the engine off.if ya have an output on the two geen wires and 12v at the rectifier assy red wire its most likly going to be a bad rectifier/regulator assy.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

I ran OHM test from both greens to ground and its like almost a complete short or infinite. Started engine and tested from each green to ground at idle got about 6-7 volts AC, then put test leads on both greens and got about 20 volts AC, revved engine to about 2K got 40 VAC or more.<br /><br />Sound like rectifier/regulator? How much $$$$

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Next I disconnected red wire from rectifier/regulator and tested out put, at idle it was 13V and revved it a bit and got 20VDC, seems that is okay, don’t you think ?

skiwake130

Cadet

I'm working off the 1999 service manual so looks like your year/model is similar to the 115BETO model which has a single lighting coil not the 3 phase type.<br /><br />Your comment about OHM test from both greens to ground is contradictory. It can't be short or infinite? It should be infinite or several meg ohms at least. From what you describe with the AC voltage, it sounds like the coil is OK. The 115BETO model at 1500rpm generates 30 volts, at 3500 rpm, in generates 75 volts which is inline with your comments.<br /><br />The regulator also sounds like it is working as it is regulating down to 13v no load. What happens when you reconnect the red wire to the battery? If it's working, it should hold the voltage. If your multimeter has the capability, use it to measure the charge current by placing the probes between the red regulator output and battery, i.e in series with the red wire. You should be reading a few amps indicating it's charging. If that doesn't produce a result, then it's a firm choice that the regulator is faulty. I have no idea on the cost. It's probably not cheap like most outboard parts!<br /><br />Good luck.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Hello,<br /><br />When I put the three red wires back on the output of the regulator, start up and check outputs, it does NOT produce the same results. Pretty much stays at the battery voltage and no increase when revved.<br /><br />I pulled wire appart at fuse just before it attaches to the battery and check output there, was the same, just battery voltage. <br /><br />Could be the regulator fails under load but when disconnected from battery I would think it would increase, with no load.<br /><br />Could there be a short somewhere?<br />Can I OHM the regulator some how?

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Okay see what you think about this test. I disconnected red wires from output of rectifier / regulator – started engine and run a 2K and have 20 volts DC with no load. As I said before when I hook up red wires voltage drops to battery voltage of 12.5V. So I hooked a 12V light to output with red wires disconnected and voltage dropped to 6 volts even a 2K RPM and light was on not super bright though.<br /><br />I assume the regulator could run an maintain a 12V light with out dropping to six volts, couldn’t it? <br /><br />Have I confirmed it’s a bad rectifier / regulator and do I continue searching? A new one is $101, ouch ….

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

If you had a meter on the input to the regulator and that voltage didn't drop you would know for sure.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Okay I can check the input next doing the same test. I wanted to confirm if all was good at the regulator it could run a 12V sealed beam and maintain something above 12V with the battery disconected from the output.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

I have not done last test yet but feel pretty confident it is the regulator causing the problem. I stopped at my Yamaha dealer and talked with the mechanic, he said in 2o years of working on Yamaha’s never has replaced one of these regulators. A new one is $101 bucks and they have a used one for $45, but I might buy a whole 1988 Yamaha 115 for parts, not sure what they want yet.<br /><br />What is the difference between a 1988/115 & 1988/130 seems all the part numbers are the same.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

The carbs, exhaust divder plate and tuner are different.

skiwake130

Cadet

Fishon, did you do the voltage test from the lighting coil whilst the regulator was loaded with the light bulb? I'm keen to know the outcome of this.<br /><br />David

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Seems the light bulb test is not a good test. Got same results with good regulator. I bought the used reg and popped it on. I can't really figure it out but it seems fine now getting 14 volts at 2500 rpm. I will take meter on fishing trip tomorrow to monitor more. As far as I can tell old reg eas bad and would die completely under any kind of load.