Suzuki DT-6 Carb upgrade - possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently noted that the bore & stroke on my DT-6 is identical to that of a Suzuki DT-8. Further scrutiny reveals that the major difference appears to be in the carburetor size (18 vs 24 mm intake).<br /><br />From my Motorcycle road racing days (AMA Nat'l #4 1982 & 84), I know that one way of increasing available horsepower is to improve the breathing ... get more air and fuel into the chamber.<br /><br />My problem is that I cannot locate the 24mm Mikuni (DT-8) mounting hole spacing - (bolt hole center to center). It should be close to that of the DT-6 and may well be the same. I've seached high and low with no luck .. I can't even locate anyone who has a DT-8 and Suzuki is of no help on this.<br /><br />Will anyone out there with a DT-8 measure the distance betwen mounting bolts for me?<br /><br />Thanks ...

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki DT-6 Carb upgrade - possible?

Without ever finding the specific answer to my question, I have proven, however, my theory to be correct ... the only significant difference betwen the DT-6 and DT-8 is the carburetor. The BV-24 bolts right up to the BV-18 mounting studs. <br /><br />Since the head is bored for an 18mm intake port, it will need some relief at the intake, but rather than rebore, I'll merely campher the intake edges to a rounded contour which will smooth the mixture flow and serve (sort of) as a velocity stack. <br /><br />Now, in order to get a 2 HP boost (33%), all I need do is locate a used Mikuni BV-24 carb to rebuild (cheaper) or order a new one at $144.10. Either way and even without any "Dremel Tool" machining, it's a rather inexpensive performance boost.<br /><br />Just thought some of you might like to know about this.

romeoted

Recruit

Hello,<br /><br />I am interest in doing the identical upgrade as you did. I was wondering if you actually implimented this upgrade? and if so how does the modification run?<br /><br />Sincerely,<br /><br />Romeo.<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by Pogo123:<br /> Without ever finding the specific answer to my question, I have proven, however, my theory to be correct ... the only significant difference betwen the DT-6 and DT-8 is the carburetor. The BV-24 bolts right up to the BV-18 mounting studs. <br /><br />Since the head is bored for an 18mm intake port, it will need some relief at the intake, but rather than rebore, I'll merely campher the intake edges to a rounded contour which will smooth the mixture flow and serve (sort of) as a velocity stack. <br /><br />Now, in order to get a 2 HP boost (33%), all I need do is locate a used Mikuni BV-24 carb to rebuild (cheaper) or order a new one at $144.10. Either way and even without any "Dremel Tool" machining, it's a rather inexpensive performance boost.<br /><br />Just thought some of you might like to know about this.

sailoralex

Recruit

Hi,very interested in this upgrading, intended to do the same. I'm using a 89' dt-6. after putting new plugs, it's running strong and very fast but only for one person on the inflatable. wonder if it's possible to upgrade to more power. basically it's good already, suzuki is really reliable. I drove sidekick, xl-7 and I love this dt-6. it would be wonderful if it could be more powerful. thanks for your innovation and watching your progress. hope i can share ur experiences on that.

smile
Alex

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just so you guys don't make things worse, the reeds, cylinder head and block (higher ports) are different, as well as the carb! if you just change the carb without a way for the engine to use the new higher amount of fuel, you will actually end up with less power! better off just finding an 8hp. some engines do just use a simple carb swap and timing difference to gain the extra power, but most, including this puppy, just want to be left alone!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Just so you guys don't make things worse, the........
but most, including this puppy, just want to be left alone!

Its been since July 2005 whatever was planned has likely been done or long since abandoned....

refrain from posting to old inactive topics. 90days after the last post, comsider a topic closed until the original poster returns....

closed

Status
Not open for further replies.