1997 Yamaha 150 jet - powerhead failure

biederboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have limited info on this but my buddy's boat apparently has at least a fried piston (zero compression). Not too many hours on this, and no apparent & obvious sub-failures (i.e. clogged water passage, worn impeller, etc.). Are there any common failures on these motors that would lead to piston overheating? <br /><br />He's picking up the boat from the dealer to consider options and I will be looking at it myself (I have power head rebuilding & repair experience) but just wanted a heads up on anything might be a rather common occurence on these motors. The dealer apparently couldn't tell him it was anything obvious. The only thing my buddy noticed was a "ticking" sound which I suspect was a wrist pin or rod starting to loosen up from overheating.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Biederboat

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1997 Yamaha 150 jet - powerhead failure

make sure the correct waterpump is installed to start, jet wpumps are different. how many hours exactly? pics of the failure might help.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 Yamaha 150 jet - powerhead failure

is this a carbed motor or EFI? and which piston failed. and was it a heat related piston siezure? no piston problems that I am aware of on the 97 model 2.6L motors.