150 hp Suzuki dt150 Lower Unit

This just started happening without any warning. I try to put into forward gear and hear grinding and a lever used for shifting under the bottom carb pops off. Reverse works fine. Took lower unit off and pulled off the clutch. The clutch can be put into reverse and neutral, but it wont stay in forward, it just pops back up. My question is could the problem be in the clutch or is it probably the gears. Thought I would ask before I pulled the gears out. What else should I look for before I dig into this. Thanks, DAVE

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 150 hp Suzuki dt150 Lower Unit

most likly the shift cam and ball follower assy is worn out. the cam will groove and fail to lock and the spring pressure may move the cam. is this a standard rotation unit ? in the standard case the shift mechanism has some lock balls and springs. sounds like one is worn. its not a job for the faint hearted nor one without proper tool usage and a shop service manual. I think the shift arrangement is almost identical in the counter rotation unit as far as the locking mechanism.

Thanks for the info. I took it apart and nothing seems to be worn. The whole assembly seemed to be together very loosely. I put it back together tighter, but not as tight as possible. It shifted into forward now and I lost neutral and reverse. Works fine on the water, but I'd like to get my neutral and reverse back. Is there any settings for this. My wifes getting me a manual for fathers day, but it's hard to wait. Thanks again.

hey just worked on mine look you do know that's is a two piece shifter held together with a plunger make sure they are still together and all the ball bearings are in place when you put it in make sure you keep in neutral and clutch dogs are in neutral they little yoke end goes to front the big end goes on big end of the plunger good and if it don't shift right make adjustments to the yoke you will know because the ball bearings will lock it in that gear

p.s. hope this helps a lot of people