Spirit (Suzuki) 50 HP not running on both cyl

Ashcat

Recruit
Ok here is what is still going on.<br /><br />When the engine starts it will run only shortly and coughs out the exhaust. <br /><br />Seems to be only running on bottom cyl. <br /><br />When running, if you bring up the throttle it labors hard to get up in the rpm range and you can hear second cyl trying to fire every now and again, nothing regular. <br /><br />New plugs installed and same happens. <br /><br />Compression on top is 125 psi<br /><br />Compression on bottom is 125 psi<br /><br />Solid nice thick spark on both cyl. <br /><br />Cleaned and recleaned carbs 3x. Pain in the arse to get them off too<br /><br />Both bowls have fuel in them when opened and is clean and at the correct level.<br /><br />Looked at the reeds with a flashlight while the carbs were off and all look closed – none cracked or missing, don’t know much about how to check reeds other then that.<br /><br />Pulled top plug leaving bottom in - will allow the engine to start easier and run briefly, didn’t notice coughing out exhaust.<br /><br />Pulled bottom plug leaving top in – engine turned over with no attempt to start.<br /><br />Plug on cyl not running seems to some have fuel on it, not excessive fuel but it does seem to have fuel in the cyl. <br /><br />Swapped coils and the problem stayed with the top cyl and didn’t travel with the coil. <br /><br />For giggles I tried firing the engine with the carbs removed and it started briefly and made the same cough out the exhaust. <br /><br />Figured I would brain dump this out and see what everyone thought. Just picked this engine up off eBay so I don't know it's history but it seems like a nice clean fresh water engine. <br /><br />Oh yah, last question can anyone help me with the year of this engine.. Tag says,<br /><br />Spirit Outboard Motor<br />5001 001142<br />Spirit Marine Devision<br />Arctic Enterprises, Inc<br /><br />Engine itself is made by Suzuki<br /><br />Thanks to everyone who reads this and can tolerate my troubleshooting

mcbrid

Recruit
Re: Spirit (Suzuki) 50 HP not running on both cyl

I'll watch this one closely as I have a similar problem with my DT50 except its the bottom cylinder that plays up.<br /><br />This is a good site for parts ID's <br /><br /> http://store.brownspoint.com/dt50.asp <br /><br />Mike

Ashcat

Recruit

I actually made some progress with it today. I am on the 4th cleaning of the carbs and noticed that one of the float bowl vents (bottom carb) was about 1/4 clogged. Cleared it out and resoaked the carbs and reinstalled them. Engine will run now on both cylinders but runs rough and does not rev very nice at all. I also noticed that the mixture needles are different between the two carbs, the top is a sharp needle and the bottom one is blunt. It's not broken blunt, has a nice clean smooth tip but is different from the top. I am thinking this might have something to do with why I can't smooth out the idle very much. I will look online tonight and see if the needles are supposed to be the same. Oh well, really still scratching my head but I am sure it will all work itself out.<br /><br />Chris

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As rodbolt pointed out to me a while ago the Suzuki big twins dont idle very smoothly( didn't know they did a twin cyl 50 , what year is it). I found the key to getting a good idle is cleaning out the two small holes in the carb throat , one either side of the butterfly valve. Didn't realise there were two for ages. The one nearest the engine is the idle mix and the one on the outside is the midrange. The mainjet only comes into play above 1/2 throttle. Use compressed air to blow the drilled lines out.

Ashcat

Recruit

Hi, rockhopper. I think this engine was made some where between 77 and 83. Thanks for the info about the bleed holes; I have blown them out during each cleaning. I think my main problem now is carb sync now. I was thinking that the two carbs needed to have the same mixture screws but I did some more online research last night and found the upper and lower carbs are different part numbers so the mix screws are more then likely correct for the carb they are in. Hopefully someone can point me to a walkthrough of setting up the carb sync and timing for this beast. I have heard the same about the idle being semi rough on the twins. I used to own a 1974 Suzuki Water Buffalo motorcycle, triple cylinder two stroke. Now that was a bear to sync even with mercury sticks and always idled rough now matter how tight you had everything setup.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Chris