'87 Suzuki DT55 water pump replacement

Al Mottola

Seaman Apprentice
Now that I have gotten this engine running, I now need to replace the water pump. I assume that I damaged the impeller by turning the fly wheel CCW while checking TDC for each cyl. <br /><br />The manual says to disconnect the clutch rod/shaft and remove the lower gear case. I believe that the clutch shaft is a one piece rod that goes through the center section (shaft housing), therefore I do not know the best way to pull the rod out while the engine is on the back of the boat. Do I need to trim up the engine to pull it out? Or is the clutch rod shorter with some kind of internal connection? The book is not very clear. Any other suggestions before I start on this endeavor? Thanks.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '87 Suzuki DT55 water pump replacement

You will need to trim the engine up to remove the driveshaft from the powerhead anyway. Once you disconnect the shift shaft from the powerhead and remove the bolts holding the lower unit on the lower unit will fall down (careful) with the driveshaft and the shift shaft rod sticking up out of the lower unit. The shift shaft has a horizontal hole in the top of it. A horizontal shaft and cam slides into it from the starboard side. You can get a look at the schematic at the parts blowup at www.brownspoint.com. Refer to the manual on how to loosen the linkage so it will slide horizontally and disconnect.

Al Mottola

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '87 Suzuki DT55 water pump replacement

jimd;<br /><br />Thanks for your help..no big deal once I pulled off the lower unit. The unit went back together w/o any glitches. Now I need to refill the lower unit and give it a try.