Yamaha 85 hp prop problems

txex1999

Recruit
I have a 1995 Yamaha 85hp. Recently, the prop spun off. I luckily found the propeller. After I put the propeller back on and turned engine on, the engine was in reverse gear when it should actually be in neutral. So, the prop spins slowly in reverse when started. I do not want to strip the gears out by putting it in gear anymore. Could I possibly have done something when prop spun off to cause this? Do I need to take off lower unit and adjust to neutral? Or is this a whole different problem that has nothing to do with the prop spinning off?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha 85 hp prop problems

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Unrelated and you're probably not in reverse. It's not unusual for the prop to spin in one direction or the other on muffs. Gearlube makes it spin. It probably won't do it in the water. But I'm still trying to figure out how it spun off. Forget the cotter pin?

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It might if......your prop is on backwards and you pull the throttle backwards to go forwards, or is that the same thing ;)

txex1999

Recruit

Thanks for the help. I do not know if I hit something to break cotter pin or if it rusted off.