Suzuki DT4 cooling problem

Vikla2

Recruit
Started up my DT4 and water started coming out of pilot hole on block and then stopped. Engine warmed up but no water coming from main water outlet hole. As engine becomes hotter water comes out of pilot hole again, but then stops when blocks cools down. This same cycle then continues but still no water from main outlet. Is this something to do with a blockage somewhere and also is there a thermostat in the engine?

squidwood

Cadet
Re: Suzuki DT4 cooling problem

Hi,

I have the same engine and had a similar problem with the water pump and the engine not pumping water as good as it should, so this is what i did.

i changed the impellor as i knew it would need one as very little water came out the 'pee' hole, but when i put it back together and ran the engine it pumped a good amount of water for about 5 minutes and then stop.

so i took the bottom leg off again and blew through the water tube (i put a piece of fuel pipe on the end of it) and found that air was exiting somewhere in the leg rather that through the 'pee' hole, so i rang a marine shop to see what this could be.

After speaking with their mechanic i took it in for them too look at it,

while i was in the shop they did the same thing then they remaved a big slotted bolt at the front of the engine and air came out!! he then told me that the water tubes that go round the engine are blocked and will need to be cleaned out!!

so i left it with them and two weeks later i got a phone call, they told me that there was a crack in the block and as the engine got warm the crack opened and the water exited through the crack rather than through the 'pee' hole, so i assumed the engine was now broke as the cost to repair it would out weigh the value of the engine, luckily they only charged me for the gaskets and not labour so my bill was only ?30 rather than the quoted ?120.

anyway when i got the engine home i ran it in my bucket of water, 15 minutes later and it was still pumping water, 30 minutes and still pumping water, so i took it out up the river and two hours of running she was still pumping water.

Anyway if you blow in the water tube that might give you an indication of where the water is going, plus by removing the big slotted bolt will tell you if the water tubes around the engine are blocked, the slotted bolt is look at the engine with the prop facing you, follow the leg up and its in the center of the engine at the top, just under the power head, if i havnt explained it well enough then i will add a picture of it.

let me know how you get on,

Dave