Yamaha 9.9 replacing w pump seal

vgurra

Cadet
Trying to change the seal under the water pump on my 198x Yamaha 9.9 2stroke.<br />Removed the four bolts on the water pump housing and the upper part of the house (surrounding the ipmeller. Then I got huge problems removing the lower part of the water pump housing that holds the seal. I can make come loose but it will only move about 2mm and then it is stuck? <br />How to get it off to be able to replace the seal?<br /><br />The vertical drivehaft can be moved a few mm up and down with the lower end of the water pump housing untouched. Trying to pry the housing off the lower end the vertical play in of vertical drive shaft disappers and it gets harder to rotate. Cant figure out what else I need to do to get the housing off the shaft.... help!<br /><br />/vgurra

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 9.9 replacing w pump seal

hello<br /> do you have the factory service manual? I seem to recall a few of the units that had to have the drive shft removed before the seal carrier would come out.<br />and post the model number <br />I can tell you that the plate breaks easily if pried on :) thats how I found out that some models have to have the drive shaft removed first.

vgurra

Cadet

The model is 9.9C, 682C. I have no manual...

vgurra

Cadet

Will prying off/removing the seals with the drive shaft still in place make it possible to remove the waterpump housing?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

no. only heating the housing outside in the area the seal housing is stuck will help you now.<br />the black and red spanner is my favourite tool bar none.

vgurra

Cadet

Does this mean that on a Yamaha 9.9C it should be possible to remove the seal housing without first removing the drive shaft?

vgurra

Cadet

Case closed. Driveshaft must be removed on these old Yamahas to remove the complete water pump casing.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

sorry I forgot to double check. but memory says thats the only way. even though most seloc and clymers fail to mention it. best I remember the housing bushing wont clear the coller the seals ride on.

vgurra

Cadet

Good memory, that is exactly the case.