15 hp suzuki won't run

pickerel

Recruit
I have a 1990 DT15C that refuses to start.Last fall i ran out to do some fishing.Ran fine started to troll.Trolled about one hundred feet it quit.Would not start.Seemed harder to pull cord.<br /> Had mechanic pull head to check rings and cylinders.Every thing o.k. Replaced head gasket.It was scorched somewhat but still in tact.<br /> He also pulled flywheel said all was well there.<br /> I took it home put away for winter.<br /> Time to get back at it.<br /> There is lots of spark and it pulls normal now.It will back fire out the exhaust every 5 pulls or so but that is it.<br /> Any ideas fellas.<br /> Also could someone tell me what the typical compression should be on this engine.I lost my manual years ago in a house fire.I've had this motor since new always ran great.

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 15 hp suzuki won't run

I had a similar thing happen with an ob I was playing with. Could not get it to start , backfired , big spark , fuel ok .....plug leads on wrong cylinders. :rolleyes: The backfire means there must be fuel getting through and a spark somewhere.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

time to buy another manual. no typical compression <br /> time for a careful diagnoses of all the subsystems after a compression test or better a leakdown test.

fridays

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you had a mechanic pull the head why didn't you have him figure out what was going on?? If you're getting good spark but a backfire (actually it is afterfire) and it won't start I'd start by getting out my timing light...

pickerel

Recruit

The mechanic is a friend who is a Johnson mechanic.He was just taking a look as a favour at his home.Didn't want to get into the electrical on a Suzuki.Had no specs.He suggested a powerpack but was just taking a shot in the dark. Now I'm just a simple carpenter but what good is a timing light if it dosen't run?<br /> Is there any chance faulty carbueration or fuel supply would cause this?<br /> What is a leakdown test?<br /> Thanx for your responses.

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If its fuel premix some gas and squirt or dribble a teaspoon into the throat , it it runs for few seconds the carb is all blocked up.<br />Timing light will still stobe the ignition pulses when your pulling the string. Assuming that your compression is ok, remove plugs and ground the leads , turn off the gas , open the throttle wide 90 +/- on both when cold would be good start. As long as they are equal. Use a spark gap tester should be able to jump 3/16 with hot blue spark.

saltydog57

Recruit

Originally posted by rockhopper:<br /> If its fuel premix some gas and squirt or dribble a teaspoon into the throat , it it runs for few seconds the carb is all blocked up.<br />Timing light will still stobe the ignition pulses when your pulling the string. Assuming that your compression is ok, remove plugs and ground the leads , turn off the gas , open the throttle wide 90 +/- on both when cold would be good start. As long as they are equal. Use a spark gap tester should be able to jump 3/16 with hot blue spark.

bolter15

Cadet

The fly wheel is kept in place on the crank by a woodruff key. These keys can shear. Particularly if they are not the manufacturers woodruff key I think. Or the wrong material. If your motor seems to be badly out of time, it could be the fly-wheel is out of position because the key has sheared.

James R

Commander

Ok, lets see what we can do. Get a compression tester and run a compression test. Just bought a back up unit from Ebay for $15. Compressions should be even and up around 125.PSI. While you are doing this the plugs are out, so to be sure that you dont stress the CD unit put the plugs into the wires and ground the plugs to the motor casing. Use a piece of 12Gage wire wrapped around the plug threads and fasten the end under a good grounding bolt. You can watch for the spark at each plug. If all is well with these two tests and you are sure that you are getting fuel into the cylinders, usually evidenced by residue on the plugs, we may now arrive at the conclusion that the flywheel has indeed slipped. Yes the keys do shear occasionall. Very often the symptom of a slipped flywheel will be that the pull start will be snatched out of your hand by the kick back.
Of course all this means nothing if the plug wires are switched.
Hope this helps.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go to Engine FAQs. Do the troubleshooting in "Outboard won't start".

Let us know what you find.