Yamaha has blown piston

tld1028

Recruit
I just puchase a used 1997 yamaha 130 hp saltwater. The seller said he did a compression test and all cylinder check out @140 psi. When I ran the motor for the frist time the idle was at 1400 rpm. I set the idle at about 800 rpm. The motor seem to be missing on one cylinder. Anyway after trying a number of different thing it didn't help. I took the motor back to the guy I puchase from and after doing some checking he did another compression check. One cylinder has 0 psi. Ok now after all that the guy I purchase the motor from said that I cause the piston to blow because my gas has water in it. I use new gas and I know the tanks where MT and clean. What could cause a piston to blow that quick? Also one other cylinder showed low compression, about 120 psi. The guy said the motor had about 28 hr on it. The tach show 75hr. Should I just fix the one cylinder or do them all. Sorry for this long question. I just wondering if I could have cause this or maybe I just got screwed.

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha has blown piston

You just got screwed. Never buy a used motor without a demo.. Woods are full of crooks. Don't respond when you get your notification that you won the Nigerian lottery. The Amsterdam one either.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, TLD.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Why would you post about an engine trouble in the NON-REPAIR Forum?<br /><br />I will move this to Yamaha troubles for you.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I thinkit was blown when ya bought it. did you water test it after you mounted it or got it? did you water test it before purchasing it? and if I had it apart Iwould carefully inspect everything replace all4 pistons pins and at least pin bearings. and dothe cooling system as well.

tld1028

Recruit

No I didn't water test it. The seller help me mount the motor. I had to finish hooking up everthing. He said if I had any problem he would then help me. I believe that I'm stuck with the repair bill. I would like to know if water can cause a piston to blow like this or what can cause it? Thank for your help in advance, It's hard for me to believe that a motor could blow that easy.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If there was water in the gas it'll still be there. Take a sample from your tank. Drain the carbs carefully and capture what comes out. Drain and check the fuel in your fuel filter. <br /><br />Was the other low cylinder above/below the bad one or next to it? <br /><br />
The seller said he did a compression test and all cylinder check out @140 psi.
So you didnt see the test or do one of your own, right?

tld1028

Recruit

No I didn't see the test or do one.(dumb) The other low cylinder was the bottom on the other side. He said that he could see water when he drain one of the carbartors. I did not see it. I did whatch him when he took the gas filter off on the engine.There was no water in it. I also whatch him take the fuel seperator off and check it for water. There was no water.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The cylinder with 0 compression -- is it a bottom cylinder too?

LubeDude

Admiral

Welcome to the best place youve ever found on the internet.<br /><br /> :eek: :eek: Well, one "GOOD" thing came out of this, You likly wont get screwed again in the same way Welcome to live and learn :eek: :eek: <br /><br />Its happened to most of us at one time or another.<br /><br />Sorry to hear about it though.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK so both bottom cylinders took a hit. The bottom carb feeds the bottom cylinder on each side. <br /><br />What do the cylinders and pistons look like when you pulled the heads?

Kanadakid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TLD,<br /><br />I don't think you will get screwd. Most states have what's called implied warrenty. That engine has to run for a reasonable amount of time as an outboard or guess what....you get your money back.<br /><br />It sounds to me like the guy rasied the RPMs to cover for the missing piston. If 1400 RPMs is not the spec the MFG reccomends than you can use that as a reasonable defense that the engine was out of spec.<br /><br />Once put into spec the piston malfunction was exposed.<br /><br />I would not lay down on this. Most SC or special civil courts are very sensitive to the consumer. Go get this guy !<br /><br />kid

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I'm with the kid big time.<br /><br />Do not let this guy walk on you. This is what Small Claims Court is all about. You will need some evidence to support your claim. I would take it to a certified marine mechanic and have him go over the motor and render his (or her) professional opinion in writing. Then go file your lawsuit.<br /><br />I would not go back to the seller as he lied to you about the hours and compression and will most likely tell you any tale to make you believe that it was your fault and he has no liability.<br /><br />Let us know how it works out.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> you can try a small claims. a friend of mine bought a 21 seacraft with a 3.0 mercrusier and a gen II drive, the battery was dead so they did not run it, got such a deal he bought it anyway. next day I gota call cause it would not run. blown piston in #4, also noticed a waterline on the transom and the trim resevoir was all water. the boat had also sunk on the trailer at somepoint after over heating. the man swore it only had 50 hours on it. I removed the head, looked at Jean and said it was ok for 49 hours but that last one was a beyatch. I think he got about 1100 or so back. the out drive was also missing the reverse thrust washer from a previous repair. had about 1/2" prop shaft end play. the good deal set him back about 2300 to fix. <br /> moral of the story. people lie all the time. test it and insure its satisfactory before buying.<br /> to late in your case. so lets get on with why it died and what ya gonna do now :)

Kanadakid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TD /Rod<br /><br />I don't know the laws in florida but many states<br />have special civil. It carries a max amount of $15 K vs. $2500 small claims. <br /><br />special civil is faster and far less expensive than civil court.<br /><br />I would send a certified leeter to the character, if you don't get a reaonse or toyr money back...don't call or threated lay down the $100.00 and file the complaint. <br /><br />This guy won't want to face the music because the is a 70% chance he will lose.<br /><br />It will settle shortly before court day.<br /><br /><br />I hope you have a special civil unit in Florida.<br /><br /><br />Rod.....please read my post from earlier today<br />Yamaha 2003 F 90.<br /><br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br /><br />Kid