99 Yamaha C50X faulty Primer

stevenj97

Recruit
My outboard is on a Voyager pontoon. It has a push to choke Prime Start system. The electric primer does not activate when the key is pushed in or when voltage is applied. there is voltage to the wire to the primer out of the key when pushed in.<br /><br />The manual primer works fine.<br /><br />Is this a simple primer or is there a variable voltage system that automates the primer system.<br /><br />suggestions?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 99 Yamaha C50X faulty Primer

hello<br /> its either prime start or choke. most were prime start and the key switch does nothing. you can push it all day long and nothing will happen.<br /> without refering to a manual and going out of memory I think yours has a thermal wax pellet in a housing that will expand and contract with voltage from the ign. if you advance the throttle for a cold start it wont work at all and will be difficult to start. if you leave the key on with engine off it will disable itself. but there were some problems with the heater assy. and if the carbs are not syched correctly it wont work. so if your having cold start issues remove prime start assy and test the needle for proper length and operation.

stevenj97

Recruit

Thanks, KH. It has the electric primer. I get continuity on the primer. I stuck it in the freezer last night. Will continue to test. Costs about $130 to preplace. <br /><br />Noone around here seems to know much about them.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

is a heated wax pellet rig. operates just like a themostat. as the pellet heats due to the voltage the rod extends closing off an orifice makeing the mix leaner.it not a difficult system but all linkages must work and the carbs must be clean and the pimer assy must acually work or its a beast.