1994 Suzuki 100 choke solenoid

CWM1250057

Cadet
The choke on my outboard is not engaging when I push the key in to start the engine. I think it is the solenoid, but I have no idea where it is or how to test it. <br />Can anybody please help me?! <br /><br />thanks.<br />Charlie

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1994 Suzuki 100 choke solenoid

hello<br /> your engine uses a primer I believe. I cant remember the exact year or the switch. if its a primer look just above the fuel pump on the port side. you will see a small fuel bowl with a wire and an output hose. it also has a screw to manually allow fuel to flow to the carbs behind the throttle plates. why do you think its not working. let us know if you have a primer or actual choke plates.

CWM1250057

Cadet

I think you are right. I'll check this afternoon and make sure. The reason I thought it was the choke was because the previous owner said when you push down the key (to choke it) it is supposed to make some sound and it doesn't. I just got the thing and am trying to work a few bugs out. How would I go about checking the primer?<br /><br />Thanks!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

helo<br /> pump up the fuel primer. remove the hose that goes from the enricner to the top carb. turn on the key and push it. if it clicks and fuel flows its ok. if it does not clik remove the orange bullet connector and check for 12v at the orange engine harness side with key on engine off and choke switch depressed repair as nessasary. if it clicks and no fuel remove the enrichner assy and clean as nessasary.<br /> the screw on the top is just a valve. unscrew it and if fuel is in it it will flow. its the "manual choke"

CWM1250057

Cadet

No clicking and no fuel flow...it has to be the solenoid. one more question, it should engage (click) when you hold the key down in the on position, not just when you attempt to start right?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

it should only click with the key switch in the ign or on position AND pushed in. this is assuming you have a push to choke keyswitch.<br /> if it does not continue testing. it may not be the solinoid

Grem62483

Cadet

take the primer apart it is very simple and clean the needle. Mine wasnt clicking either. There is a little spring inside of the needle (shaft). This shaft is located in the solinoid. Take the the solinoid off and you will see the needle stickiing out. My spring was all varnished and was stuck inside of the needle. I have a 1989 150 v6 so I dont know if its the same but if it is this might help. I put it back together, pushed the key in and heard in click. I left the output hose off so I could see if fuel was coming out of the primer and it did :)