Service on Yamaha 60hp -86

rcgt78

Seaman
Hello!<br /><br />Is there anything special to check on a Yamaha 60hp -86 engine?<br /><br />I'm planning to rebuild the carburators and changing impeller.<br /><br />Any short advice about removing the lower unit.<br />How will I disconnect the gearchanging linkage and<br />what's the thin hose that goes down to the lower unit parallell to linkage?<br /><br />I believe I should order a Clymer manual. It would make servicing easier!<br /><br />Best regards,<br />Robbi

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Service on Yamaha 60hp -86

hello <br />the hose is a speedo pickup, dissconnect it just above the gearcase. the shifter is just splines, no dissconnect on it. replace the fuel pump as well. also you may wish to replace the t-stat.

rcgt78

Seaman

Thanks for the help so far!<br /><br />I ordered the Clymer manual yesterday.<br />Believe that I will find illustrations <br />over the lower unit in it. <br /><br />While I'm waiting for the manual I think <br />that I will remove the lower unit and <br />have it for a pressure check.<br /><br />Robbi

rcgt78

Seaman

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?<br /><br />Last summer the engine (Yamaha 60Hp -86) didn't stay running by itself. A little help with throttle was required. <br /><br />Cleaned the carbs and put new gaskets in them.<br />Engine runs fine now at medium and WOT speeds except hard starting and a little rough idle. Have new spark plugs. <br /><br />Can it be an idle jet that is clogged or should I try to link & sync the carbs? What about fuel pump? Will a defective fuel pump still work at WOT?<br /><br />Robbi