Suzuki 2HP Timing Repair?

doyle62

Recruit
I am considering buying an used Suzuki 2HP - The unit is clean, compression is good, but the owner says the "timing needs to be repaired". Is this something a novice (myself) could do with a manual, or do I need to take it to a shop? If it would need to go to a shop, how much do you think it might cost? <$100, >$100?<br />Sorry for not many details on the exact problem with the timing...this is all I have to go on for the moment. The unit is kind of a silver color with blue Suzuki logo and blue decal with white outlined "2" on it. I don't know the age or model number at this time.<br />Thanks,<br />Doyle

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Suzuki 2HP Timing Repair?

hello<br /> hard to say. first I would ask how he deterimined it was timing. second did you actually check the compression or take his word, and third the cash issue is impossble to tell. most shops bill at 60 per hour and up. the other nice thing is if its not a saltwater motor they are usually chea to repair and so simple that with the SUZUKI manual its doable.

doyle62

Recruit
Re: Suzuki 2HP Timing Repair?

thanks for the advice. I asked for more details, and discovered the engine is a 1985 model. <br />As for more details of the timing issue, the guy simply said, "Timing is off so that the compression strokes are not matching with the <br />spark.<br />Basically the piston is not meeting the spark at the right time"<br />I am dealing with him via email. He sent me a picture of the compression being measured.