Suzuki DF70, replace water empellor?

11 footer

Lieutenant
Our 2001 DF70 has VERY low hours. When I checked it was something ridiculous, around 17 if I remember correctly.<br /><br />The manual says to "inspect" the empeller every 12 mouths or 200 hours. As far as I know, it has never been replaced, and it pumps water like crazy! <br /><br />I think it was a salesmen who told me something about the empeller being stainless steal. Is this referring to the empeller itself of the casing that it spins in?<br /><br />If its worth mentioning, the last trip of the season we picked up a plastic bag on lower unit, which blocked the water intake and set off the temp alarm, stopping, removing the bag and restarting seemed to solve that problem, and there where no temp problems the rest of the trip.<br /><br />The motor is now four years old, do you think its time to replace it as a precaution?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Suzuki DF70, replace water empellor?

The impeller is rubber, the liner in the pump housing is SS. It's due. On a Jap engine, every two years is a good idea, but I've seen some go ten years or longer.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It has closer to 50 hours, Ryan. Recheck the code for reading the Tach.<br /><br />Impeller was replaced at the beginning of '04 season.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

pdspeh

Seaman Apprentice

How hard is it to change the impeller? Estimated time to change?

JWood

Cadet

Is there a way the check the hours on a DF 70 your self ?<br />If so, how ?<br /> I don't remember seeing anything in the owners manual.<br /><br /> Thanks,<br /> John

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The tach will tell you. In the Owners Manual it explains how to read the tach on initial key-on, before starting.

JWood

Cadet

I've read the manual from start to finish, and found nothing. Maybe mine is different as it's an Evinrude ??