yamaha has really poor customer service

garyN

Petty Officer 3rd Class
EDIT: Sorry, Gary.<br /><br />You are welcome to relate an actual experience and how you felt about it, but generalized company bashing is not allowed here.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: yamaha has really poor customer service

Yamaha has been very helpful to me, but I'm not a consumer. Can't testify to that end I guess. Overall I find them to be high quality in most every aspect including product support. But I suppose having the main company in a whole different part of the world can have disadvantages. I'm spoiled having Johnnyrude and Mercury so close to me. But considering, I'd say Yamaha is still better than most.<br /><br />Please expand on your bad experience.

garyN

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My experience is painfully firsthand and I can tell you that Yamaha is not set up to deal properly with a problem outboard. Maybe they have so few bad products that they don't really focus on it but that doesn't help those of us who get a bad one.<br /><br />I spent 2 hours today simply trying to get my problem notice by someone with the power and desire to correct it.<br /><br />I cannot tell you how difficult it is to watch them dance around the problem that can be solved with either a written promise to extend the warranty on the latest (read number 5 repair) or make me an offer to buy back the engine (I would even be willing to pay to upgrade to a new model). But no, in typical corporate denial they want to lose me as a customer forever, and have me say unflattering things about them when asked.<br /><br />I have seen this before with american companies.<br /><br />Anyhow, today I was insulted by the customer service rep and then when I called to inform his supervisor what had happened they would not give me his name. I was encourage to write to GA (and I did). I also wrote and copied the president of the marine motor division who was quoted recently as saying: <br /><br />"Our goals of constantly exceeding expectations and striving to be the industry’s technological leader is ‘the cornerstone’ of our business plan, and we have no intention of slowing down our efforts," noted Dyskow. "We believe the customer is our boss and is the one best qualified to determine which brand of outboard motors are best suited to match their boating interests and expectations. <br /><br />Well I am calling them on this as I am a customer who is planning to spend my money elsewhere, if they don't get on this ASAP.<br /><br />My engine,is a 2001 model that was repaired three time under warranty and twice after it expired in August of 2004. It is unreliable and not any pleasure to own or use. It has been out of service over 70 days since I purchased it and has a total of only 200 hours on it. It should run like a new engine and not worst than the 15 year old two stroke it replaced. I feel like I should have bought a KIA, for better service and quality.<br /><br />I do hope someone is listening, I don't want to bash them - but I am frustrated. I cannot even, in any good conscience, sell this one to someone else.<br /><br />What kind of quality is that? Like you said, if the customer is the boss, then you need to listen to me and try to do what is fair. If this were an automobile the Lemon laws would make it easy to get a replacement.<br /><br />Just be careful with this company. the fact that they don't take any e-mail, fax or let you call thechnical service directly shows where the priorties are. <br />I will update and hopefully be able to tell you they came through, if not then take the message and use you own judgment before partnering with the products from this company.<br /><br />One last important point, I am not saying they make junk, any company can put out a bad proudct by accidnet, but they need to address it quickly and effectively or they make buying Yamaha products a crap shoot, and reward the lucky ones and punish the ones who most need service.<br /><br /><br />Gary N

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I read thru your posts. This is a longshot but easy enough to check. It is not likely, but maybe the cam timing jumped. There are timing marks easily visible with the guard removed. I couldn't tell you where they should be as I don't have a manual handy, but find TDC on the crank and see if the marks line up for the cam. They should be reasonably obvious and if it runs at all, it couldn't be off by more than a tooth or two.<br /><br />I think it's more likely that you have a bad carb. Sometimes the casting gets a bubble. I sympathize with the California dealer and his inability to adjust it much. That really ties his hands. But from what I've been told, the idle passages aren't very large. Open the idle jet all the way and it doesn't get much richer as a result.<br /><br />In parts of the world that aren't so picky about clean air laws, they remove the plug that covers the idle screw. For those that want to make it look original again, that plug is available separately but the number is hard to get. Since you're in California, I can't tell you that the plug can be removed and the jet adjusted, then a new plug installed. So I won't ;)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I cant find a post of your original problem. post the year HP and what is wrong. I have a slight advantage of a lot of techs cause I did all my early training with 4 strokes and german and some english ones. if you really want carb problems deal with SU's. post it back. if you dont like yamahas service try the rest.

garyN

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi rodbolt and WilleyBWright<br /><br />Thank you very much for your reply. I do want you to realize that the engine is with the "authorized dealer" who is in touch with Yamaha tech services. Any suggestions or offers of my layman opinion will go unhearad as these experts are working on it. To date, a new fuel pump and the second new carb in less than one year, and it still runs poorly.<br /><br />As for my not liking Yamaha customer service - it is something that should be really strong and invisible. Have a problem, determine it is the company's responsiblity and then see how to make the customer feel satisfied.<br /><br />What is wrong at Yamaha is they seem to have an initial hurdle that I have to convince them the engine is the problem. Anyone, including many on these boards, what to assume that operator error is the problem and, were I not a 50+ year old guy who has owned more than 12 engines since I was 14 I would agree. <br /><br />But, machines break, and sometimes in mysterious ways that seem to defy logic. If that happens to a new model engine then the MFG should simply take it back, supply a replacement and let the techs in Japan take it apart piece by piece to, #1, determine what is wrong and #2 make changes for the better in future engine. <br /><br />TO force the poor consumer to fight is counterporductive. If I had it to do over again I would try Honda - simply because I think they are more in tune with the American expectations.<br /><br />Looks like no matter what I do Yamaha is going to try to make me keep this damaged engine - so I will try to get them to make it run well enough so I can sell it and try to sleep at night worrying abouat the guy who buys it and how much it will cost him ( I have already spent over $400.00 having the dealer clear the carbs on three different occasions) ! . At least as the original owner I get some attention. Again, I do hope they do something for me- I have jumped all the hoops now and I will wait another 2-3 wweeks to see!<br /><br />FYI the engine is a model year 2000 four stroke, power thrust 9,9 with a 25in shaft and eleectric start. a sailboat kicker<br /><br />Gary N

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I posted under the is it damaged one. here I will ask you to ask the dealer to run a compression test for me. then post me the results. depending on what they say I will advise further. please ask them to test the compression and post me back the request results.