Yamaha 200 SW Flush connection

kavika

Seaman
It is OK to install a quick connect system between the hose end fitting and where the flush hose screws onto the block?<br /><br />Does cooling water flow through this hose when engine is running or does the hose just screw onto the block to secure it?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 200 SW Flush connection

no and yes<br /><br />dont start the engine when using the flush connection.

kavika

Seaman

rodbolt, thanks for the answers to two of my three questions.<br /><br />What about the quick connect so I can use my Salt Away dispenser without having to unscrew the flush fitting and rescrew it to my dispenser?<br /><br />My dock water pressure is very high so I went to Lowes and got a hose pressure reducer to go at end of hose+reducer+dispenser+flush hose.<br /><br />How about that?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

well I only saw two question marks. yes engine cooling water flows to the hose if you leave it off. the block off on the cowl prevents water pressure bleed off. dont use the quick connect. if you do make sure water cannot flow out when its not connected. dont run the engine with the hose flush dohickey. to run the engine use the muffs on the gearcase,<br /> dont worry about water pressure. years and years ago when merc came out with a flush port on the gearcase it was below the water pump. if the engine was not turning water cannot flow through the pump. at 60 psi on a good hose it may make a seal leak. however with modern engines and pressure control valves its a wives tale that wont quit. like pumping the gas on an efi engine or jacking the throttle 10 times on an outboard.

kavika

Seaman

Thanks a bunch! <br /><br />A converted rag sailor...from Hawaii<br /><br />gone to the dark side...<br /><br />I even bought a putter for my wife.<br /><br />Kavika, lost in Florida

Triton II

Commander

Greetings Rodbolt,<br /><br />We've kind of been here before and as a result of previous advice I run the engine using flush muffs with a big bucket under the lower leg to collect the water. When the bucket's full the level is above the cavitation plate, so I disconnect the muffs and stop the motor. I then connect the flush hose to a garden hose, start the motor again and flush the top end. Is this OK?

kavika

Seaman

To confirm: <br />a. Is Flushing Kit an option?<br /><br />1. You do not need muffs, the flush hose on the engine does it all.<br />2. You do not run engine when using built in flush hose.<br />3. Water does not flow through the flush hose when it is screwed in place on the cowling.(I looked at the parts diag on-line and see that water does not when fitting is screwed to cowl.)<br />4. You can attach a quick disconnect fitting to the cowl fitting male and a female screwed into the hose fitting so a quick disconnect can be used on the fresh water flush hose (in my case my Salt-Away dispenser with an inline pressure reducer so the dispenser gasket is not blown out) <br />5. I have a 1997 200 Saltwater engine (I think) but the web based on-line Yamaha Owner's Manual for the oldest available (1998) does not show the mrg flush hose only muffs are shown on page 4-5. My serial number is SO2472. Does that mean my unit is newer than a 1998?<br /><br />Mahalo,<br />Kavika

larry7777

Recruit

Hello,<br />this is not on topic but I am looking for a pair of clean 150 to 200HP Yamahas to upgrade to from a pair of 1994 150 HP Mariners on a boat I just bought.<br />Thanks,<br /><br />Larry (800) 459.3010 or lao1@bellsouth.net

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Kavika<br /> the seriel number is no help with year model. I need the model number, when the flush connector is screwed onto the cowl plug there is still water pressure applied to it when running. when just flushing using the flush connector the t-stats do not open and no water flows through the covers.that is why I dont like the flusher. look in the service manual at the flow diagram and you will see it. you can attach a quick connector to the engine flusher but if it leaks water when the engine is running you may see a low speed overheat problem.<br /> Triton II<br /> dont use a bucket.<br /> just flush it on the muffs and all is well.<br /> but if you do as described just make sure the level in the bucket does not go below the water intakes<br />you guys make to much out of salt away and flusing :) :) :)

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Triton, nothing really wrong with what you are doing but it is overkill. When you hook up the muffs and run the engine, you are flushing the entire cooling system, no more is really necssary.

kavika

Seaman

It is a 1997 S200TXRV. <br /><br />How long will the termostatats stay open if you flush after shut down? <br /><br />Until the cold water hits them?<br /><br />Are not the tstats closed when using muffs as well?<br /><br />How do you use muffs when the boat is in the water? <br /><br />It will not run when tilted, no? <br /><br />Will muffs stay on if you use them underwater?<br /><br />Again, Mahalo!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yep <br /> as soon as the water cools below about 120 degrees or so they are closed.<br /> yes you can put on the muffs and tilt it down. just dont forget to take them off. dont laugh I replaced some pistons a few years back on a 90 omc cause they left the muffs on and started it and it ran till it cooked.