New kicker motor

WRCuddy22

Cadet
I am running 1983 Boston Whaler Revenge Cuddy with 200 OX66 for main power and recently had a 1997 9.9 Yamaha high thrust kicker motor for trolling. Great setup but the 9.9 died last trip out with 400 hrs on it. Couldn't get a handle from dealer or this site on what may have caused the problem. (Ran the oil out within 6 hrs last trip out)I met with dealer yesterday. Would like to stay with Yamaha high thrust because I was very happy with the motor and it's performance until the meltdown. New model for 2005 is the 9.9. What is new about it? My other choice is an 8 hp high thrust with power tilt. Power tilt would be a nice feature. According to the literature it is lighter, only has a 6 amp high output charging system, and costs less. The 9.9 had a 10 amp high output charging system and would push my boat about 6 mph if needed. What could I expect out of the 8 hp model and would the 6 amp charging system be adequet?<br /><br />John

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: New kicker motor

As far as speed, you won't see much difference. If you run pumps and electronics, then 10 amps would be better. But 6 amps still helps. People used kickers without charging systems for a long time. Many still do. The tilt unit is REAL nice!

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

go with the 8. ive fitted those t8's to very large boats and still made headway into the river current.

WRCuddy22

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. From the feelers I put out, the T8 has plenty of power, tilt is great and runs great but for daylong trolling some prefer the 9.9 for the 10 amp charging system. I personally don't know anyone with a T8. A lot of the local crowd with the bigger aluminum boats love them for walleye fishing. My power requirements are 2 electric downriggers(may upgrade to 4), depthfinder/gps, vhf radio, running lights, spotlights at times, and occasionally bilge pump.

gss036

Commander

I rum 2 electric downriggers and depth finder, Loran and GPS all day using my Honda 15,(I think 12amp), so I would suggest the 9.9 w/10 amps. The Scotty electric down riggers w/10# ball needs power if you run them up several times an hour. <br />How often did you change your oil? I hace a couple of friends who seized up thier Yamaha 9.9 & a 15 because of so much gas in the oil. If all you do is slow troll the temp never gets hot enough to disapete the gas. I had to put a higher temp thermostat in my Honda because it was making oil :-}.<br />I will be fishing w/a friend tomorrow is running a 9.9 Yammy on his 24 Bayliner, it does a great job.

Al Kungel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BenC,<br />I understand that you are a mechanic working on Yamaha motors. By the way I am also in the Vancouver area.<br />I am looking at a new 2003 Yamaha 8hp 4 stroke high thrust kicker for my boat. The previous kicker that I had on my boat was an 8 hp Evinrude 4 stroke, and was mounted to the boat by a solid bracket. Even though it started well and did not smoke it did viabrate more than my old two stroke. Even after switching to a different prop the viabration continued.<br />What I am looking for in the new kicker is easy starting, no noticeable smoke, quiet operation and little or no viabration. So any observations and comments that you can make in regards to the 2003 8hp 4 stroke high thrust kicker will be appreciated.

WRCuddy22

Cadet

I changed oil after every trip, usually at about 50 hrs. I typically get about 150 hrs. per summer of trolling time. Trolling speed of 2.5 to 3 mph. I don't have a tach for the kicker but would guess about 1/3 throttle. Pushes my 22' Whaler to around 6 mph WOT. Probably wouldn't get much more speed with a 25 hp motor because of the displacement of the boat. The older 15 hp Johnson I had previous wouldn't keep trolling speed into a 10 mph wind. The high thrust is great, has a different gear ratio and a huge prop. I was looking at the Honda 15 hi thrust and the gear ratio was the same but used a 4 blade prop for a couple hundred extra. Nice idea for multipurpose users. Had some nice features but I chose the Yamaha because of recommendations from people that had them.

WRCuddy22

Cadet

I picked up the new 2005 Yamaha motor literature and it mentions that the 9.9 is new this year. Does anyone know what is new about it? Dealer said he hasn't received the features booklet for it yet. He thought the controls were new and possibly the fuel pump was upgraded. They apparently had lots of motors come back with fuel problems. The usual fix was to downsize the fuel line to the 9.9 with a smaller line, 5/16 I believe. Apparently the fuel pump couldn't handle the volume of fuel. Any truth to this?

gss036

Commander

I fished all day today w/my friend on his 24ft Bayliner. The 9.9 Yamaha handled the it well, even w/15-20 mph wind while trolling. I aske if he had any problems w/the motor making oil (gas going past the rings) he said yes until he put in a hotter thermostat and hotter spark plug, no problems since. Good for fishing also, we had 3 salmon today.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> the two normal causes of kicker failure is bad fuel and the fact that the motor cannot turn in its RPM range. test yours with a shop tach to insure its not over propped and lugging at the 1/3 throttle setting. most kickers are severly overproped. props aint like tires. the one that happens to come with the motor may not be the correct one.<br /> the 9.9 has some new features but is not a new motor.<br /> the fuel line thing sounds like smoke :)

WRCuddy22

Cadet

I wasn't aware the high thrust came with different props. Do you know what features are offered for 2005?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

AlK i would wait for the boat show in february if you can. usually some super deals on last years stock. the last few years i worked the yamaha booth i had a list i had to push to blow out our old stock. if you cant wait or see a deal before then dont hesitate. in my opinion you cant beat the high thrust for performance or usability.<br /><br />wrcuddy, the problem you describe is a kicker too far away or too high above the fuel tank. a service bulletin was released and it was discussed at a product update also. if you are having a problem whereby you run out of fuel at slower speeds have a dealer inspect your fuel system.