Yamaha 200 hp starter

caldemaxi

Cadet
My 1985 Yamaha will hardly crank when i try to start it. At first,I thought it was the battery . It had sat for a few weeks so I charged it fully ,tried again and result was the same. I tried turning the fly wheel . It was difficult but it turned. I removed the plugs and tried cranking it with the starter. It seemed to crank normally. When i put the plugs back in ,it hardly cranked.(not even 10 degrees on the flywheel) Then I tried a friend's battery to eliminate the posibility of my battery being no good . It hardly cranked. I also bypassed my battery selector switch and cleaned all connections even though they looked ok. At this point I am suspecting the starter. I purchased the Yamaha dealers manual but it give no checks for the starter. Is there any way to check it out ? Thanks for any help or ideas you might have.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 200 hp starter

ok<br /> we know its an 85 year model. what else can you tell us about it ?<br /><br />is this a 200 tx model? if its a 25" model there will be another test. post back with the shaft length.

gutshot grouper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take your jumper cables and jump directly to the terminals on the starter, the problem is more likely the solenoid rather then the starter motor. any kind of 12v solenoid can be substituted rather than paying exhorbitant boat parts prices, Simpleton in Raleigh

caldemaxi

Cadet

It's a 25" shaft. Model# 200ETXK. I'll try the solenoid bypass test tonight. Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I will bet you have a siezed bushing in the exhaust housing. rather than a bypass test do a voltage drop test. but if all tests are ok drop the lower unit and replace the bushing just above the water pump. its common on older satwater engines.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good call rodbolt.<br />Last fall I had that very same problem with my 89-200xl shaft,(slow cranking) which seemed to clear up on it's own.<br />This spring I dropped the LU to replace the water pump and that driveshaft bushing fell out in pieces!<br />I never knew the two were related, till now. Thanks!<br />Cheers... Canuck 16

caldemaxi

Cadet

I tried to start it while monitoring the battery voltage. The voltage was at 13.8v no load. As I tried to start it, the voltage dropped to 11.8v. The gear engaged but the flywheel isn't turning at all now. I looked in the yamaha manual but did not see the bushing in the exploded view. How far above the water pump is the bushing? Thanks again for all of your help.

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It supports the driveshaft about an inch above the water pump housing. It's held in place in the bottom of the midsection by a stainless circlip. If this is whats causing your problem,( and I suspect it is)right now the bushing is self-destructing, and gouging grouves in your driveshaft, causing the slow cranking.<br />Good luck, and by the way, it's an expensive little bugger to replace! Set me back $120 Canadian, and I'm not even convinced that it "needs" to be there!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

remove the gearcase and look into the exhaust housing. its only used on 25 and 30 inch motors.<br /> the hard part is removing the old one and cleaning all the corrosion from the bore. if you dont clean it odds are you will break the new one trying to install it. the bushing retails for about 45 dollars and the clip is 3 or so. usually you will destroy the clip trying to remove it.<br /> good luck and keep posting

caldemaxi

Cadet

Now I have a good idea of what needs to be done. I'll remove the lower unit on Saturday weather permitting(if not Sunday) and let you know how I make out then. Thanks again for all of your assistance.

gutshot grouper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's an easy way yo figger {sp} it out,, pull the plugs and getboth hands on the flywheel, you should be able to turn it in either direction without much resistance,, Simpleton in Raleigh

caldemaxi

Cadet

I pulled the lower unit today. It was difficult getting it apart from the exhaust housing with that bushing holding the driveshaft. It was exactly what you said it would be rodbolt. Nice call. Now the engine cranks normal again. The driveshaft does not appear to be damaged. Dealer was closed today so I'll pick up the parts during the week and install them next weekend. (And replace the impeller as well). Thanks again rodbolt and Canuck16 and everyone else who answered. This slow cranking has been occuring on and off all season and I never would have suspected that was the cause.

glink_98

Cadet

Does this scenario apply to a 15 year old 50 HP 4 stroke too?

My story---

Yamaha F50 TLRT (4 stroke, 50 HP), purchased 4-1-1995

The starter is not 'strong enuf' to spin the engine. The engine does start if I use the manual pull cord.

I have taken the starter off the engine and on the bench it spins up and APPEARS fine. I put it back on the engine and removed all plugs to test compression and on the 4th cylinder it did not have enuf strength to complete the test. The brushes are about 1/2 IN long.

There is no apparent burning on the armature.

I have tested for continuity and all appears fine--- magnets all go to ground and copper is all continuous.

Please--- have you any ideas?

Thanks a lot---- Rick.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Rick
this thread is dirt old bro :).
start a new one.
post your model number and any tests you have done on a new thread and we will try to get back.
I just moved, bought a house, and have no internet service, yet.
I am typing from the shop cause the kid we hired made me come in.