Solenoid ttrouble, i think... Yamaha 250 Saltwater Series

Billfishbrad

Recruit
Good Morning to all... New to the Forum. I found this site while trying to do some research on how to jump the solenoid on a Yamaha 2001 Saltwater Series II 250.<br /><br />To describe the problem briefly, the motor was running fine after it's recent 100 hour service. A few weeks back, while moving the boat for Hurricane Jeanne, the port engine would not start. The Key would turn on, the alarm would give it's normal "beep beep beep" and the gauges would light up. As soon as the key was clicked over to fire up the engine, the gauge readings would disappear. I initially thought that the key switch might be bad, however, i've since replaced it and it's not the problem. <br />I now hear a "clicking" noise coming from within the powerhead, from the starter, i assume...<br /><br />So, does anyone know anything about how to jump the solenoid? The batteries in the boat were replaced 3 months ago, and it's been plugged into the 3 bank charger for 3 days now, with that being said, could it still be a battery issue? <br /><br />Any other comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time! <br />Brad

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Solenoid ttrouble, i think... Yamaha 250 Saltwater Series

It does sound like a battery or loose connection issue. The Start solinoid will have two heavy wires directly across from each other which are the input from battery and output to the starter. There will also be a brown wire which is the solinoid keying wire.

Billfishbrad

Recruit

Thanks for your imput, Ray. I'll be trying to jump start the engine later this afternoon! If not, i'll be on the prowl for a loose connection somewhere.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

go with what ray says. the reason the tach reading disapeared is when the keyswitch tried to engage the solinoid the current draw was more than availble and POOF no readings<br />good luck and keep posting

Osprey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Carefully check and clean the copper lug ends of all battery cables on the battery / batteries. At first glance they can appear to be OK and yet can be corroded.<br /><br />If all connections look good, pull the batteries and have them load tested.

snowmon

Seaman

Hi,<br />I also have a 250 sw2 and had the same problem back in June. Although I don't believe it to be related to that model but just poor connections. Cleaned all connections with baking soda and water and also replaced wingnuts on batteries with nuts and tightened down good. This solved the problem.

Billfishbrad

Recruit

i know it's a few days late now, but, i figured i'd report on what the outcome was... I removed the cover and tried to jump the solenoid... with no success, i removed the starter motor, went to the local Yamaha shop, tested the starter and it was D.O.A. Replaced it, and she's been running like a champ ever since... The starter was just burnt out after 1700+ hours... Thanks for all of the help and imput...

Osprey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for posting. Its always good to learn the final resolution. Wish more people would follow through as you did.