Intermittent spark with '83 Suzuki 140 HP

dimrod

Recruit
My 4 cylinder engine will sometimes spark only on the top 2 cylinders, occasionally on the top 3, and sometimes only on the top 1! Most of the time when it is acting up, it is the top 2 only. When I am lucky, all 4 will fire and it purrs like a kitten. When not all four are firing, I can take the lead from the CDI to the coil of a sparking cylinder and place it on the coil of a non-firing cylinder. Of course, I will then get spark in the cylinder that has the known working lead to it. So, not all leads form the CDI are putting out voltage consistently to the coils. I checked and cleaned all connections. They look good to my untrained eye. Do I have a bad CDI or potentially another problem? Is there any way I can check it? Where is the best place to obtain a new one? My former dealer over the phone has told me that the CDI usually either works 100% or not at all. He has dismissed the idea that it is a defective CDI. What do you think?<br /><br />I spent a long night down a remote Alaskan R. before the fickle engine decided to run on all four cylinders again. I experienced this problem about 5 years ago and took it to the dealer who could not find a problem with it. Now, we have no dealer. I need to solve the problem as I need a reliable engine. Thanks for your help.<br /><br />Mark in AK

dimrod

Recruit
Re: Intermittent spark with '83 Suzuki 140 HP

Does anyone have any advice to offer? Do you think it is the CDI or perhaps another problem? All advice welcomed.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Mark

vidar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Intermittent spark with '83 Suzuki 140 HP

try checking the wires from flywheel to cdi they can be broken ...