Yamaha digital multifunction gauge issue

sort

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1995 Yamaha 250 SW TXRT with the Yamaha digital multifunction gauge combo (tach & speedo). Went to start her this Sunday at the lake and the gauges didn't come on when the key was turned and then after the engine started only the tach had any indication and this was for 0 rpm and the marks above the oil and overheat were all lite up. Since the engine ran fine we took her out anyway, after about an hour of running the engine went to reduced rpm and would not go above aprox. 2000 rpm. I think this was due to the oil resevior being low and since I had no alarm functioning I didn't realize this was the computer taking the engine to the reduced rpm emergency settings. There was at least a quart remaining in the oil resevior and the engine resevior was full. Is the gauge issue a short or open? Is the reduced rpm's a normal response on low oil resevior?

waterbill

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha digital multifunction gauge issue

My multifunction gauge was giving false low oil level alarms, and it turned out to be nothing more than a poor ground at a negative lead ftom the sender. Though your problem seems a bit more complex, I would try to find a good ground on the block and connect a test lead. Then connect the other end one by one to every negative connector assosciated with your gage's terminus at the engine. See if your ghost alarms go away. Don't think that just because a ground lead is screwed into the engine that a ground has actually been achieved. Good luck.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

check the yellow/black/red/green plugs that come from the control box that power(among other things) the guages, this a common spot for corrosion. also check the plugs that supply the guages information from the engine. should be 2 small square plugs sitting right where the main harness plug is sitting on the right side of your engine cowl. to release, lift up the little tab on the large side of the plug and pull apart. any green on any of the terminals is bad. also check your large oil bottle plug the same way.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I think your nuts for going out knowing there was a problem. I hope your tech gets a new pair of shoes:) :) <br /> good luck

sort

Seaman Apprentice

Rodbolt is correct.....a really dumb move on my part...and I knew better.