Lower crankshaft bearing on Suzuki 2.2 hp.

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer
Hi<br />I've just got two small Suzuki outboards and I'd like to know what year they are, if anyone knows.<br /><br />The first is a DT 2.2 and the serial number is 00221-867009.<br /><br />The second is a DT 2 and the serial number is 0201 351154.<br /><br />I also need to know whether the lower crankshaft bearing can be replaced on the 2.2, or is the crankshaft and bearings all one unit? If the bearing can be replaced, what is the best method to remove the old one? It seems as if it is stuck fast.<br /><br />Any help would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br />Steve

wrolson60

Cadet
Re: Lower crankshaft bearing on Suzuki 2.2 hp.

Originally posted by steviecops:<br /> Hi<br />I've just got two small Suzuki outboards and I'd like to know what year they are, if anyone knows.<br /><br />The first is a DT 2.2 and the serial number is 00221-867009.<br /><br />The second is a DT 2 and the serial number is 0201 351154.<br /><br />I also need to know whether the lower crankshaft bearing can be replaced on the 2.2, or is the crankshaft and bearings all one unit? If the bearing can be replaced, what is the best method to remove the old one? It seems as if it is stuck fast.<br /><br />Any help would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br />Steve

wrolson60

Cadet

Hopefully someone else here can verify this for you. From what I have been told, of the numbers you list, look at the second half of the set. The first digit in your number is the last digit of the mfg year and the rest is your engine number.<br />Engine colors by year:<br />Blue - 1980-1982<br />Light Gray - 1983-1988<br />Gray - 1989-1996<br /><br />So I guess if we consider this for 00221-867009 it must be a mfg year of either 1988 or 1998?

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks wrolson60.<br />I'll try to verify that.<br /><br />Any ideas about the bearing?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Steve

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

The 2.2 is a 1998, the 2 is a 1993.

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you lakensea.<br /><br />I just need to find out whether or not I can buy a new lower crankshaft bearing. Non of the sites I've looked at list parts for these small outboards.<br /><br />Thanks again<br />Steve

RustEater

Cadet

Hi, Steve!<br />The bearing can be replaced, but you will probably need to take it to a workshop. The bearing is pressed on rather hard. If you want to try it yourself, you will need a bearing puller and a heat source. Heat the bearing to some 2-300 centigrades and pull. Fitting a new bearing is along the same lines, heat the bearing and drive it in place with some suitable soft piece of pipe. As it is a tight fit, you may have to use a 20t hydraulic press to get it right. <br />I would recommend you to take it to a workshop, buddy!<br /><br />Cheers,<br />RustEater

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the good advice Rusteater.<br /><br />I got two new bearings and oil seals today, and got the old bearings off without too much trouble using a bearing puller. <br /><br />When I came to put the new bearings on, I did wonder if they were pressed on as they wouldn't slide all the way on.<br /><br />Would I be able to use a propane torch to heat the bearings, or would that get them too hot and cause damage? I'd like to attempt putting the new bearings on myself, so any advice would be great.<br /><br />Thanks again<br />Steve

RustEater

Cadet

You're welcome, Steve!<br /><br />My personal favourite is using the electric plate where my garage coffee is made. Drop the bearings on it, bring the plate to a nice glow, nick the little wife's oven mittens, and Bob's your uncle.<br />If the bearings came off with just a small amount of force, the new ones should fall straight in.<br /><br />Good luck!<br />RustEater

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks again RustEater.<br /><br />It's those little bits of advice that make life easier. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know how I got on.<br /><br />Thanks again for the benefit of your experience.<br />Steve

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

my friend uses a toaster oven I have used the wifes fry dady and oil. its how we do most the bearings. sometimes though the bearing will slide on then partway back off. hold it in place till it cools<br /> good luck and keep posting

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks rodbolt.<br />Looks like I'll be doing the bearings in the kitchen today!<br /><br />Have to wait for the Wife to go out first though ;o)<br /><br />Thanks again<br />Steve

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

Hi<br />Thanks to the great tips, I got the new bearings on really easy ;o)<br /><br />Just stuck them in the grill for 5 minutes and they slid straight on. Re-assembled the engine and it started first time and ran as quiet and smooth as you like.<br /><br />Thanks again for your help.<br />Steve

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same question on the year, how do you tell. Mine is a Suzuki DT2 0201 SN 899020, just picked up good running clean long shaft for $100, do you know the year?