Suzuki dt85 sn#8501-001664 impeller repair

TomTamplen

Recruit
Not sure which year this engine is? Just got boat, which has been stored for four years. Need to replace impeller,but the Climer manual isn't clear on how to drop the lower unit. Have read all the ? by other people here but none seem to help either.I have experience in small engine repair but nothing prepared me for outboards.<br />Can someone please help with this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Tom

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Suzuki dt85 sn#8501-001664 impeller repair

I'm not going to be much help on figuring out the model year..<br /><br /> "001664" My best guess it's either a 1980 or a 1990 according to the first digit of the serial number..<br /><br />Anywhoo.. Disconnect the shift rod located just behind and below the carbeurators.. It's a bit difficult to get at..<br /><br /> Then remove the nine bolts, and one nut, that hold the lower unit on.. Once the bolts are out, it should slide right down..<br /><br />ps.. They hid one of the bolts.. It's located in a recess just above the propeller... ;) <br /><br />good luck..

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

On my DT85 there's a rubber grommet on the starboard side that you remove to get at the nut (12mm socket) that allows you to disconnect the shift shaft. If your model is like this put the engine in neutral and loosen the nut all the way but DON'T remove it (it can be a pain to put back on). Then push the nut and its shaft in, this will move the shift cam off of the shift rod under the carb. There are 3 bolts and 1 nut on each side plus another bolt in the rear in a recess (total 7 bolts 2 nuts). Don't drop the unit on your foot. If you go to the trouble of dropping the lower unit, replace the water pump impeller. Installation is the reverse, you may need to rotate the flywheel by hand to get the driveshaft into the crank. Pull the shift cam nut back out and if you're lucky the shift shaft will reconnect in its hole and you'll be good to go.

dgouge68

Recruit

Be Careful going back together w/ the shift rod. I wasn't paying attention and got the rubber grommet sideways w/ the rod, Just under the carb, I can't reach it and can't straighten it out w/ a long screw driver! Now I have to either pull a carb or maybe all 3. lesson learned.. Other than that, It was a piece of cake.. Also, Antiseize the bolts real good before going back together. I replaced a thermostat also, whoever did it before didn't anti-seize and one of them broke! Now I have to drill it out. Found a mud dobber nest on top of the TStat!..I hope this was my problem as the impeller didn't look too bad. GOOD LUCK!!!