suzuki DT 30 ignition problems

spd311

Recruit
Can someone tell me what the voltages and resistance values should be for the charge coil and the trigger coil on the DT30? I suspected the cdi/ignition coil unit as the reason for no spark but have replaced it with a used unit- still no spark. Have checked all the usual culprits but dont have a manual to tell me the electrical readings.Many thanks.

spd311

Recruit
Re: suzuki DT 30 ignition problems

Most other engines i have worked on have the CDI module as a separate unit from the ignition coils, what tests can be done on these combined units? I realise that getting hold of a workshop manual would be helpfull but living out here in the hebridean wilds - tends to take a while to aquire one....

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> about what year DT30 ?

spd311

Recruit

Hi Rodbolt, sorry for the slow response, my internet connection has been out. I dont know the year but the model no- is 03001 and the ser no- is 719102. I am starting to think that the triger or pulsar coil voltage may be low, am getting 5 volts on my DVA tester.

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lucky for you I just got a factory dt30c manual for my 89 Suzuki:<br /><br />When you say charge coil, do you mean battery charge coil?<br /><br />The battery charge coil should be between 0.2-0.6 ohms at 20 degrees celsius.<br />The battery charge coil output should be 12v at 80 Watts ( I think ).<br /><br />Ignition coil resistance:<br />(Primary) 0.1-0.4 ohms<br />(Secondary) 1900-2700 ohms<br /><br />Condenser charge coil resistance: 170-250 ohms<br />Pulser coil resistance: 170-250 ohms<br />Gear counter coil resistance: 160-240 ohms<br /><br />Thats everything for electrical that talks about resistance in coils for the DT30C.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /> :D <br />Adam

spd311

Recruit

Thanks boatster, will check these values out and see if i can nail this snag, regards Steve.

StarTekh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boatster can u look @ jon star post Dt30c you<br />have the manual and im new to suzukie.. ran omc for 30 yrs and can fix them. up to 50 hp<br />so i need a little pro input.. thanks