Suzuki starter nightmare

NiteFish

Cadet
My Suzuki DT-140 starter is only engaging the bottom half of the fly wheel; the throw appears not to be high enough, so someone has put on the wrong starter in the past..........<br />As a result the bottom of the fly wheel gear is getting all the wear and the top of the starter gear is buggered up........<br />After much research though mechanics and electric shops it seems almost impossible to determine what is the proper starter for this motor AND Hitachi will not sell drive gears separately from the starter ever though it could be easily changed out. These starters run $350 new vs $150 for most motors. Drive gears are only $30., but unabtainable... What a croc, Suzuki & Hitachi,,,never again.<br /><br />Any help appreciated,,Engine is 87' DT-140, ser # 14002-709***

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suzuki starter nightmare

Same answer as last time, go to E-bay and buy a starter. There is one on there right now with no bids, no reserve, and a $9 price. So, tell me what the nightmare is? Some idiot put the wrong part on it and you need to replace it, what's the big deal? The things are on E-Bay all the time and they are dirt cheap, what's it take to change one, a 10 mm wrench and 10 minutes?

D

DJ

Have you actually worked with a REAL Suzuki dealer?<br /><br />Specifications on a starter should be available. Spec's such as bendix travel, etc. Anyone rebuilding them would need to know that.<br /><br />Do you have the right flywheel?

NiteFish

Cadet

Thanks for the stroke of genius THOM, I think we have all heard of EBAY, & no that one is not the right one or I would gladly have bought it weeks ago. Maybe in your smartazz grab bag U could pull out the right PART # to go along with the sarcasm.<br /><br />A SUZUKI MECHANIC is the one that but on this wrong one, but for a diff owner.

NiteFish

Cadet

DJ, wrong flywheel is a possibility as this boat has had many diff owners and who knows what they have done. The starter rebuilder told me he thinks the starter I have is the right one but his manuals were not specific. Ever if it is I cant buy a drive gear for it as Hitachi wont sell separate. Problem is flywheel has no # on it fpr ID

D

DJ

Nitefish,<br /><br />What year is your DT-140? I used to have a 1995.<br /><br />Anyway, those engines have changed very little since the mid eighties. Maybe even earlier.<br /><br />Perhaps you can spot another one and do a little looking.<br /><br />At this point, perhaps that would be the easisest way to tell if you have something obviously wrong.<br /><br />I would think that there would be many to look at near you, in Florida.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

All DT 115/140's use the same starter from 1987-2001, part#31100-94601, superceded to 31100-94610. The pinion is listed separately under part number 31320-95240, but is currently on back-order. Have your dealer call Suzuki to see when it will be available.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Original Text Deleted. <br /><br />Hey Nightfish. I wish you luck with your problem. <br /><br />Thom

NiteFish

Cadet

Thank U DJ & lakensea your a saint. Now the search can begin ...Thanks again