Suzuki Multifunction Gauge question?

R_Andersen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have twin 1989 DT 200's witht he multifunction gauges and I'm wondering what the two water alarm light on each guage mean? There is a water 'R' and water 'L' light on each guage. When I'm running over 4200 rpm I get one of the lights flashing intermitently on the left guage but I'm not sure if it's a water flow or temperature alarm? Both motors have strong telltales and both feel about the same temperature and are definately not overheating.<br /><br />Thanks for any help,<br />Rob

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suzuki Multifunction Gauge question?

The engines do not have water temperature senders, what you are seeing with those left and right side lights are indications (pass/fail generally) that you have water flow, nothing else. The sensors themselves fail with some frequency so its quite possible that the flickering you are seeing is from a bad sensor, though it could be caused by the thermostat on that side not opening completely.<br /><br />The sensors themselves are locaed in the head. From memory I'll tell you that they are just under the top spark plug, but in any event they are in the top third of the head and just about in the middle. The sensor is a black plastic plug, held in place by a single screw, and its wire (there are actually two wires in a sheath) go into the plastic box between the banks of cylinders that holds the coils. They simply plug in. You can change one in about 3 minutes, if I remember correctly one of them cost about $30. The flow sensor itself is simply a flapper switch. there is a small flat arm that extends into the water passageway and it is lifted by the flow of water. No flow means no lift and the little light goes on. When you have flow it lifts up the little flapper and the light goes off. that is all the guage is telling you, that water is flowing. It has nothing at all to do with water pressure or engine heat. Of course when one fails anything is possible.<br /><br />Thom

R_Andersen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Suzuki Multifunction Gauge question?

Ok, thanks for the info. I was looking through the wiring diagrams for the motor and it does show an engine temperature sensor plus the two flow switches so I still think there might be a temp sensor somewhere. I pulled out both flow switches and they are clean and seem to work fine. I guess I'll have to look into it a little more...<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Rob