200 HP Suzuki hard to start cold

mstritt

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1987 DT 200 anniversary edition that is hard to start when cold. If it is not warmed up it will die when I try to go on plane but runs at no wake speed. Once warmed up it runs great(10 minutes or so at the dock)or if its been off for 15 minutes or so it fires right back up and runs fine. Just wondering what the problem could be. :confused: <br />Thanks in advance<br />Martin on the Jersey Shore

tprice

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 200 HP Suzuki hard to start cold

Have you changed the plugs. I am by no means a mechanic but if I understand correctly once a plug warms up it will fire better than when it is cold.

murphy1

Seaman Apprentice

Hello, I have the same problem with my 1987 suzuki dt200. At the end of every season when the temp got colder it would do as you stated. I was told it was running too lean. I never adjusted the carbs and just winterized it. Now it's a new season and it's stalling in gear even now when it's warm out (engine cold or warm). I've cleaned the carbs, played with the lean/rich adj's, and changed the plugs. I even had a friend who is a retired suzuki mechanic look at it and we were baffled. So I sent it off to the pros to figure out for $85/hr. I'll let you know what they come back with 10 days from now. Also, can you keep your engine from stalling if you push the fuel purge on the key every two seconds? that's how I kept mine from stalling.

murphy1

Seaman Apprentice

What do you mean, decarb? I took my three carbs off and pulled the needles and floats and ran carb cleaners through them, even though they already appeared clean. Should we do something else in addition? These carbs didn't seem too complicated, one needle, and a float, is there another item to be cleaned? thanks in advance

mstritt

Seaman Apprentice

I tried decarb twice and it has helped(I got mine at a boat store-you spray it into the carbs while the engine is running to clean it out). I still have the problem of hard starts when cold. If the engine is warmed up, or it has only been shutdown for 10 or 15 minutes it runs fine . Could it be a problem with the choke or maybe I just need to run another can of decarb thru.<br />Thanks

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

These aren't the problems at all. And by the way, those V-6 Suzuki's are just about the cleanest running engines on the planet when it comes to carbon buildup. This isn't some Evenrude or Mercury, you could go a lifetime and never decarb a big Suzuki and never hurt anything.<br /><br />Anyway, the reason it is hard to start with cold is probably because of a bad or disconeected fuel enrichment valve. It is located on the top of the engine, just under the plastic cover, and its easy as pie to test to see if its working.<br /><br />The next time you go to start the engin cold take the cover off. Pump up the bulb as usual and crank it once or twice to make sure that it doesn't want to start. Then pump it up again and then look on top of the engine where it says something like turn this screw for an emergency start and then wait 10 seconds and pull the rope. Well, don't pull a rope, but turn that screw, count to 10 and then start the engine. If its starts right up you have a bad valve. Oh, it could just be disconnected, just follow the wire, its orange as I recall. It should go hot when the key is pressed in and in the On position. It is what Suzuki is refering to when they say to choke the engine. Those carbs have no chokes and this valve is what they use. It is basically just a float chamber that holds an oz or so of gas. When you press in the key it powers a little solinoid in the valve that opens it up and the thing dribbles a thimble full of gas into each carb's intake port. If power fails it can be opened by hand (the little screw) as you might have to do in an emergency start. The last one of them I bought cost me $105 as I recall, but it was a long time ago. Anyway its easy to test to see if its the problem.<br /><br />Thom

mstritt

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply I'll take a look and see if that helps<br />Martin on the jersey shore